Reloading costs

zworld

How much can I expect to pay to load 45 LC? lets not count brass, just components powder and bullets and primers. Cowboy loads, lead bullets.

Not giving you a hard time but that's kind of like asking "how much will a car cost?".

First . . . do you have reloading equipment? i.e. a basic single stage press or better? Die set?

They can easily be loaded with one of the Lee classic loaders by hand - many folks have and do use them.

I'm set up to reload. Anytime I go to reload a new caliber, I figure it's a minimum $100 - and that's buying Lee dies, Lee mold, some brass, etc.

As far as components - that will vary as well. The best thing you could do is to go to a supplier in your area and ask about the components.

Where I am, large pistol primers are running about $35.00/1000. I just picked some up last Friday to use in 45 Colt Long/Schofield. Powder also varies - depends on your area. Smokeless or BP? You'll need to figure out what powder you are going to use and go from thee depending upon what loading data you are going to use. A simplified example - a pound weighs 7,000 grains. If you loading data says to use 7 grains for example, divide that into the 7,000 which in theory will give you 1,000 loads per pound. In my area, smokeless has gone up over the past couple of years. I used to be able to buy a pound of Bulls Eye for $20.00. Now it's around $22 to $24 per pound depending on who has it and if you can get it.

If you're going to use BP - a pound still contains 7,000 grains. If you are using say 30 grains for your load, divide the 30 into 7,000 which will give you your loads per pound - then divide the loads per pound into the price of a pound to get your "per load" cost.

As I said, you don't need a lot of expensive equipment but you do need the basics. And before you do anything - if you have never reloaded a cartridge - buy a good reloading manual and study the process. There is a difference between smokeless loading and BP loading. With BP, you need a "compressed load" and BP lube, etc. Smokeless, you will usually have a lot of empty space in the casing when the powder is put in and the bullet seating. Less case volume equals increased pressure. Seating too deep increases pressure. You want to stay will within SAAMI specs. An accidental double charge with smokeless or using the wrong data with the bullet you are using can have catastrophic results. You need to understand the different loading processes before you start assembling ammunition.

I'm not trying to put a scare in to you - reloading can be fun and very rewarding. It's just that you need to define what you want to do before figuring out what the cost will be and what you budget allows. If possible - try to find a 're-loader" in your area and talk with them about it.

Another site that will give you a lot of good information is "castboolit". Do a google and it should come up.

Good luck to you and be safe! :)

Not entirely a newbie to reloading, Been shooting for 40 years and I have reloaded. Just not current with component prices. All I really wanted to know was what I got from your repley. Cost of powder and primers. How much is a thousand round count of lead bullets? I can do the rest of the math.

I've never reloaded .45 LC, but I reload .45 ACP. I cast my own bullets from wheel weight lead. I can reload 50 for about $4.50.

There are reload cost computers on the internet - just google them and then plug in the component prices.

Primers are roughly $40/1000, Bullseye is roughly $30/pound. Brass you can look up online, as with bullets unless you cast your own in which case you'll have to do some math to figure out your cost per bullet.

1K primers.. 35$=3.5 cents per
Unique powder $26= 7,000 gr 10gr per = 3.7 cents per (if you get ripped off)
Bullets...$20 per 100= $.20 per

X 100 shots = $.27 per...or $27 per 100 or $13.50 a box!!! yeah we are bing ripped off at the store charging us $50+ a box for shells:(

Find a way to cast bullets or reduce bullet cost and you can be shooting for pennies!;)

Last edited:
Back