reloading costs

ted miller

Inactive
I recently purchased a S&W 686 and am trying to decide if reloading is worth the work. Local costs for new ammo are about $.20 for .38 sp. and $.30 for .357 mag, 50 round boxes. Can anyone tell me what I could expect to pay per round if I reloaded my shells, and how much I would need to shell out for reloading equipment? Also, is it hard to make safe, reliable ammo by reloading yourself? I wouldn't want to jeopardize safety for a few bucks.
thanks,
ted

I think you can save some money by reloading. It may take a while to realize the savings depending on what type (how expensive) of equipment you buy. If you go top of the line with all the bells and whistles, it may take a lot of reloading to actually save any money. On the other hand, if you buy decent equipment and get by without the latest gizmo's you can still turn out quality ammo and save some cash. You can figure out the cost per round by doing some simple math. Take a trip to the reloading store and bring a calculator along. Remember that you only buy the brass once for several shots (depending on cartridge and other variables). I think the savings really show when you figure the costs of premium bullet rifle cartridges. The thing it really does is allow you to shoot more for the same cost. The other bonus for me is its one of my favorite things to do. Shake

I've analyzed the economics of reloading several times, and it's actually kinda complicated. For my .45, though, I look at it this way: Brass costs me about $11/1000 (assuming a cost of $110 per 1000 with a 10-cycle useful life before the casing is either lost of worn out); powder costs $10.50 ($15/lb, 4.9 gr/rd); primers cost $15 ($75/1000). Bullet costs depends on what you use. I use FMJ's ($72/1000), but most reloaders shoot either lead or plated (which could be as low as $30/1000). So the net cost of the materials is approximately $65 to $108 (or 6.5 to 10.8 cents per round).

A question at this point is whether this cost is to be compared to the cost of factory rounds ($220 per 1000 for mail order PMC), or factory reloads ($170/1000 for FMJ, from Georgia Arms).

However, now one has to add in the cost of the equipment. Assuming one can buy all the equipment needed for about $500, amortized over 5 years at 6%, the cost per year for equipment is approximately $116. Shooting 10,000 rounds per year adds another cost of $11.60 per 1000.

Lastly, I guess one would have to at least add a subjective factor for labor, although I enjoy the process of reloading so I ignore that element.

This is all rather amateurish, I know, but it seems to me that for .45 FMJ, and comparing to factory reloads, the "break even" cost is about 2000 rounds per year. Above this, the costs per round are less and at my typical shooting level (10,000 rounds per year), the costs are considerably less (30%). Comparing to cost to factory ammo (which in my mind is a better comparison -- I have *never* had a misfeed with my reloads (no kidding), something I cannot say for commercial reloads), the savings are almost 50% (11.9 cents per round versus 22 cents).

You can plug in your own numbers and see how things work out.

As to the safety, reloading does require some attention, although for me that degree of care is manageable. You might consider watching one of your friends reload some rounds, watch what's involved, and see if you think it's something that you would feel comfortable with.

Hope this helps,
Skip

I use 2 x Lee 1000 Progressive presses.
1 in .38/.357 & 1 in .40S&W/10mm
They might be "cheap" but with CARE they work WELL !
Haven't broke anything yet & I've reloaded about 10,000rnds on each. :)
Dillon is better but costs 3 times as much.
If you learn how to CORRECTLY use the Lee & NOT ham fistedly ABUSE it, it'll LAST.
My 5c worth as the Aussie Govt. banned 1 & 2c pieces a while back. ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Ted:

this post belongs in the Reloading section.

Anyway, what most of us relaoders find is that we save approxiamtely 50 percent. I reload 45 ACP for about $98/1,000 compared to $200-225/1,000 of factory ammo. I reload 9mm for about $70/case compared to factory at $120-130/case.

Better accuracy, better reliablity compared to the lower or middle end factory ammo, saves money, increases your understanding of ballistics. Reloading kits can be bought used for as low at $200-300 so your break even is 2,000 rounds of 45 ACP.

Why buy factory when you can shoot twice as much? Or shoot more frequently?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rad turds powered by rodent farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

For me, re-loading is a must! I can't afford to shoot factory ammo at the rate that I'm used to shooting. And it's fun! I get a lot of satisfaction out of making a product that will meet/exceed what a factory can do. People might argue that what I've spent on re-loading equipment, I could have bought a lot of factory ammo. I disagree. I have less than $400 in all of my stuff, some new, some used.
Abought 5 yrs ago, I was re-loading .45ACP for less than 4 cents a round! Let me explain. When I first started reloading 10 years ago, I got the Lee turret reloader for $150. This is a low cost machine that has served me very well. You can spend much more and have better quality etc. But this piece of equipment has given me very little trouble over the years. I begged and scrounged for brass every where I could. I have brass that is 10 yrs+ old and has been used 15-20 times. I cast my own 200gr swc bullets out of lead that I scrounged from wheel weights and what I got for nothing at my indoor range. The only non-recyclble stuff I had to buy was powder and primers.
My advice, go for it! I'm sure that if you enjoy shooting, you'll enjoy reloading. Just start out cheap at first with all your equipment. Upgrade later if you want(i never did) Pay attention to what you're doing. Turn off the TV/radio while reloading and you'll do fine.
I'd be glad to help with any questions you might have. Just e-mail me and I'll get back with you soon...............Good Luck.
Ron

------------------
Proud,dues paying,member of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy"

Sorry to have to say this...But...IMO..Reloading won't save you money. :( :( You will find yourself shooting 2X as much "if not more" so you will wind up spending as much if not more. :) :) :)
I would say 50% savings is about right. I often buy powder, bullets cheap "when stores go out of reloading equipement". As I don't load "hot" I get lots of use for each brass. I should keep track but since I found a good load don't throw brass away.
But I would suggest you check out Dillion Precision and Lee. I have both presses and use them both. If you shoot a lot go for the progressive. A loaded round with every pull of the lever is great. There is no reason your reloads won't be as safe "if not safer" then comm reloads. I had some trouble with reloads from a batch sold to local law enforcement training center. I had 3 super hot rounds out of about 50 rds shot "I had bought 500rds" When I took them back they did give me my money back. :) :) But to have your carry gun go bang, bang, BOOM! :( I don't know if related to this but less then 3 months later "prob 500rds" the gun started doubleing. Cost $70 to fix. Check paper for used press if $$ short.

New to serious shooting and don't plan to reload anytime soon because of the startup costs etc...

I can't complain about factory prices for 9mm. I just bought a case of 9mm FMJ for $110 including freight. Hard to beat prices like that.

Jagr

Back