Reloading 8x50r Austrian Question

sw8496

Hello

I am ready to load 8x50r Austrian for an 88/90 Mannlicher rifle and an M95 Mannlicher carbine. I have the correct size bullets, dies, and brass. I have found only one source of published reloading data from "Cartridges of the World". It only lists data for three bullet weights using IMR 3031 and states the wedge lock rifles should have a lighter load due to lock strength. I do not have IMR 3031, but I already have 2 lb of Accurate 4350. I see on my 8x50r Lebel Lee die set that they provide loading data for accurate 4350 using different bullet weights. Is the 8x50r Lebel close enough to the 8x50r Austrian to use this data as a starting point for loading with Accurate 4350?

Thank you
Scotty

That is an interesting and unusual question. Let me research a little, and I will come back. In the meanwhile, I will point out that 4350 is significantly slower burning than 3031, so I expect that cartridges for which 3031 is appropriate will be wider of bullet, relative to case diameter, than cartridges for which any of the 4350s are appropriate.

Just looking at what's in my old Cartridges of the World, it seems that the 8mm Lebel is pushing lighter bullets around 300fpr or so faster with similar amounts of 3031. Therefore, I would not use a "one for one" charge of 4350 as a starting point.

Both rounds are in the 40,000psi class, but remember you're dealing with 19th century actions and steel alloys, so caution is the order of the day. What ought to be safe on paper (or a computer program) MIGHT stress the gun you have to an unacceptable limit.

Often the old guns, particularly ones made and used with black powder or early smokeless will do fine, until, without warning, something cracks, or breaks. They rarely blow up, but they can fail unexpectedly.

Slow and easy, carefully working up to starting load levels is not a bad idea.

Wikipedia said:
Reloadable cartridge cases can be produced by reforming and trimming 8×56mmR Mannlicher or 7.62×54mmR Mosin–Nagant Russian brass. Standard .323" 8mm S-bullets are correct for this caliber though best results are obtained from open-base bullets that can expand to fit the .329" bore. RCBS offers both reforming and reloading dies.
When reloading for "wedge-lock" Mannlicher rifles such as the M.88, M.86/88, M.86/90 or M.88/90 chamber pressures should be kept low for safety. Rifles such as the Mannlicher M.95 using a stronger rotating-bolt design can be loaded to higher pressures.

Found this on Wikipedia. Seems helpful.

I also load this caliber. N135 and imr4895 are the powders I have used. IMR4350 is way too slow. It is better reserved for higher power rounds.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back