Reloading 45LC's

LIGHTNIN ROD

Inactive
Had guys tell me they load light and fill the case with cornmeal. Looking for opinions. How much powder? I realize for rifle shots it needs to be hotter but up close how light can you go? Thanks Yall!!confused:

Some of the CAS shooters load them down to about 500 fps. Heck, just fill'em up with bp and let'em roar like they're supposed to.;)

Well with the cost of everything I'm trying to keep my cost down till I get some time in. I'm new to this but havin fun. Don't want to ruin it by costin me a fortune. (Mamma ain't thrilled with the whole "Cowboy" thing.)

The Heck With Wimpy Loads.

Use original weight,[250-255 grain], bullets and full case of ffg. It's a .45 Colt, designed to take down a Comanche even if he's on the other side of the horse he's riding; it will kill both horse and rider in one shot. It's the magnum of the black-powder age. Just because others may defile it with wimpy loads for a competitive edge in a game doesn't mean you should stoop so low. Otherwise use a 32-20. The .45 Colt should be required to generate at least 850 fps and preferably 950. Does anybody out there know where I can obtain some real balloon-head cases so I can cram as much ffg powder as possible into them? I'll bet that those that took this great cartridge to the Klondike, wanted the most powerful loading available.....

They went to solid cases for a reason. Balloon heads are weak and prone to rupture. If you just have to duplicate the original load and still want smoke you should be able to compress 40 grs. of Pyrodex into a solid head case and add a 255 gr. bullet.

I loaded a bunch of 255gr RNFP over 5.8 grains of trailboss and it seems to be a clean light load.
255gr RNFP
4.5-6.0 Trailboss
WLP
1.650" OAL
Now Im workin up some hot H110 loads
700th post :) Oh yeah!

I'd been loading .45lc with 8 grains of Unique, works great, a little messy. I switched to 6.5grains of Alliant American Select. It's actually more recoil than the 8 grains of Unique, but much cleaner and has been working great.
I also load .45lc with homemade BP, fill the cases full and seat the bullet to compress the powder. It's roughly 30 grains of my BP, nice boom, cloud of smoke and alot of power!!

I shoot with lots of cowboy shooters who shoot .45colt,myself included.
No one uses filler with smokeless powder that I've ever talked to.
black powder,sometimes,but not smokeless..

To save money,you can shoot lighter bullets,like 165 grain or 200 grain ,but they don't do as well as the regular 250-255 grainers....too much airspace in the case for proper igniton.That has been my results anyway.

I use the same load for both revolver and carbine.No reason not to if it's for cowboy shoots.WE ain't shootin' 1" groups.

If you try to cheat too much on the powder,the primers will back out of loose fitting pockets,but there won't be enough recoil to re-seat them againgst the recoil shield,locking up the pistol.
..don't ask me how I know this.:rolleyes:

To soothe your wife's angst,tell her loudly and proudly how one little pound of powder does almost a thousand bullets,and the brass is reusable so cost there is nil.

Heck,maybe she'll buy it.:p

Back