reloading .357 with Win. #571? Need data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgang

I recently obtained 3 lbs. of Winchester's old ball powder #571. I've found data for use in .40 S&W but would also like to load some heavier bullets (158-180 gr) in my .357 Mag revolver.
I've gone through some old Win. reloading guides and Lee's "modern reloading" but found no info. I even contacted Winchester but they were of no help at all, only to tell me to download their entire reloading guide which consists of a very few of their newest powders. Big deal! Guess they can't be bothered with their older powders.
If any of you reloaders out there know where I could find data for #571 in .357 or have a favorite recipe you wouldn't mind sharing I would be greatful. Thanks in advance, dgang

You owe me one--i just ran out to my reloading room where i think i've got just about every reloading manual that winchester ever put out--but to no avail--no loads shown amywhere--i did notice however some loads for 38 spec which you probably saw--if i were you i'd beef up the 38 spec loads and try a few in the 357 but i can tell you that normally when i try something that 's not in the book that i'm normally disappointed by what i get. i've never come up with anything dangerous but normally stuff like lots of unburned powder/poor ignition ect. i used to use 540 in 28 ga shotshell but 540 is no longer around and win. now shows 571 as powder of choice. with 571 only shown for small capacity cases like the 38/9mm/40-it may not just be suitasble for larger cases with a lot of air in them...Sorry i couldnot be of more help...Dick

Gang,

I've checked every loading manual that I own (about 30), and not a single one has 571 loads for .357 Mag.

I suspect that Dick is right; 571 just isn't a powder for .357 Mag.

dgang - I don't see a problem with using Winchester's data for the 38 Spcl +P as the starting point in a .357 Magnum. If you take it step by step watching for any signs of overpressure, you should reach a satisfactory load without any danger. (I would not say the same is true for a powder like 231.)

Loading W 571 in the 357 Mag.

A large quantity of W 571 came my way, and I load 357 Mag.

Hodgdon did have date for HS-7, and that powder was repackaged 571.

For my application, mid power loads with GC lead bullets, the data I had seemed to be a bit stout.

I found that 9 gr works well for 155 > 166 gr Gas Checked bullets. I cast up Lyman 358156 and RCBS 38-158-SWC with an alloy in abouts a BHN 14.5 and they work OK. I tried down as low as 8.5, with the 38-158-SWC, and I think that is as low as I would go. Up at 9.5 it gets a bit barky and starts to get the odd little streak of lead. I found printed data up higher than this, but I didn't see the need.

Also, a mag primer is recommended, I use a CCI, and with a standard primer, unburned powder becomes quite evident.

W571 and HS-7 are the same powders.

Speer #12 has HS-7 loads listed for 158 gr. Start 9.9 gr. Max 11.0 gr.
Hornady #4 lists Start 9.9 Max. 10.7

For 180 gr. Hornady #4 list Start 8.9 Max 9.8

Hope this is what you are looking for.

W571=HS-7

Yup, 571 is the same powder as HS-7 (and it was a heck of a lot better powder than HS-6!). I still have several pounds of W571, and I like it a lot. Plenty of data for it in older manuals. You can do some good loads in .357, but only into mid-range; it does not really push things to full magnum tilt. It seems to work better for the heavier bullets.

and it (571/HS-7) was a heck of a lot better powder than HS-6!

Heh, somebody doens't like HS-6 :p

I like HS-6; but versatile it is not. Works great for heavy magnum bullets (158/357; 240/44) pumped up to high pressure. Then (and only then :D) it runs super clean and consistent.

Okay, back to the subject at hand. Years ago, I loaded with 571. I remembered it being a bit like Herco - made good ammo. Short of full magnum; but still pretty darn stout. I used data from my Speer #10. And I still have my old Speer #10.

About two years ago, I unexpectedly ended up with a 5.5 pound can of W-571 and I've been having fun experimenting with this obscure old powder since then. I found lots of load data in my Hornady and Speer manuals for Hodgdon HS-7, which as others pointed out is the same powder.

My real jackpot of Winchester 571 data come in the form of an old Winchester reloading data booklet #15, which I encountered here: http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-gun-info/reloading/ww_load_data.pdf

In my experiments, I found no clean and low-SD load for .44 magnum or .45 ACP. The loads were so dirty, that I had trouble reloading my .45 revolver due to all the black flakes. .44 mag loads had stunningly high SD numbers and dirty brass. Experiments with .357 magnum were also disappointing for the same reasons, but with one interesting exception noted below.

For me and my guns, Winchester-571 did shine in two loads:

- Full power .357 load using some equally old and unusually heavy Hornady 180 grain jacketed bullets which produced nice clean brass, great 25 yard accuracy, and single digit SD.

- Subsonic 9mm Luger load using Berry's 125-gr .357 jacketed bullets. I was surprised to find shiny brass, no flakes, Standard Deviation of 9, and great 25 yard accuracy from this load. It reliably cycles all of my IDPA/IPSC competition 9mm guns and is noticeably easy on my ears when I practice at the indoor range.

Good luck and have fun in your experiments with Win-571!

Last edited:
Boy Nick, I too live in Idaho and my .357 absolutely loves HS-6. 8.0 gr under a NOE Plain based powder coated 158 gr. boolit with a CCI 400 small rifle primer is what I've been using and it really does the trick. Makes the legendary ragged hole at 20 yards. That being said, I have a bunch of 571 to load and am looking forward to the delivery of my new Starline cases to put some into. I saw a brisance test article and they showed a small rifle primer up against a small pistol magnum and they were about equal. Seems to be the case in the ones I've tried. I'm shooting a GP100. Going to drag out my chrono and see what speeds I'm getting I guess.

Newtire,

You have created what we call a zombie thread (brought back from the dead). The last post prior to yours was four years ago. Three of the participants, including the thread starter, haven't been on the board recently; one not since 2016. A lot of members are folks who can spend time because they are retired, so, unfortunately, we lose one to father time every once in a while.

In any event, since Winchester 571 and HS-7 are discontinued powders, the original topic is largely moot. If you'd like to start one on HS-6, not only do you avoid using the forum as an Ouija board to address passed posters, but you generally get more participation and interest that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back