Reliable extraction?

Prichard. I would imagine that the Ruger would be more reliable than the Savage for extraction, due to the fact it has a Mauser type extractor. I haven't used the Savage, so I can't comment on them, but I do know they use a different extraction system. I did have Svage, more than twenty years ago, but I sold it two hours after I got it. Nothing wrong with the rifle, It's just I paid $75.00 for it. The guy that sold it said it kicked too hard. It was a .300 Win Mag. Shot real good too. Anyway, I was showing it to a friend, and he offered me $200.00 cash on the spot for it. Must of been ok, as he still uses it. I will admit, I am predjudices toward certain rifles. I like sporters made on Mausers. I feel the pre 64 Model 70's are overrated. I have had excellent luck with the Rugers. (the first version) I like the Mauser type controlled feed on the new Rugers, but dislike intensely the non-adjustable trigger. Would I buy one? Hell yes. Timney is just up the road from me, and they make replacement triggers. Would I buy a Savage. Sure. Why not? I'll give you an idea about how I feel about the Ruger. I decided to build a wildcat .375 on the .338 Win. Mag. case. I chose the Ruger. How did it work out? Fantastic. Sorry if I rambled on some. I hope you found it helpfull.
Paul B.

COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Despite its similarity to the Mauser extractor, the Ruger extractor does not engage and control the feeding of the cartridge. With controlled feeding, the feed lips of the magazine are critical and this was one of the reasons the original Pre-64 Winchester M70 was dropped from production. Rather, the Ruger uses a push feed system. This is accomplished by making the extractor head thick enough to cut at an angle which allows for the extractor to cam over the rim of the cartridge upon closing.

If Savage hasn't changed the extractor since 1966, it is casted from beryllium copper which won't stick or rust to the bolt head. I was told that the grip on the cartridge was shallow, but don't listen to me. Let's hear from TFL members who own Savages!

BTW, the Ruger 77 Mk II is controlled-feed now. The first year of production for the Mk II wasn't, but I believe Ruger changed in the second year by altering the bolt-face. If you already own a 77 Mk II first year model you can send it to Ruger to be fitted with a controlled-feed type bolt.

Back