"reliability" package?

David Blinder

What constitutes a "reliability" package? Also, can any gunsmith perform the job or would I be better off going to a "name" smith?

This is what my impression it is for a 1911:

1) Verify chamber dimensions and lead into barrel rifling.

2) Check the tension on the extractor (tune it) and verify that it is cut correctly and polish.

3) Polish the breach face. Verify that it is cut correctly.

4) Verify barrel is throated properly. If not correct it. Polish the throat.

5) Polish the the feed ramp.

Reliability means functioning 100% of the time with good ammo and magazines.

Not all gunsmiths are good at all things. I would go to one with a good reputation and knows how to work on the firearm intended work is to be done on.

Johnboy

David,
My gunsmith can do that for you. He did it on my gun. Throat barrel, polish feed ramp, polish breech face, adjust extractor, ream and polish chamber. For $50. He's in Woodstock. If you want I'll email his address to you privately.
Richard

Reliability package,
Im a fence sitter on most of these package deals....You have to remember that the gun smiths are like anyone else they are trying to promote business for them selves.
That said they are some modifications that can be done----but for me the bottom line is shooting large quantities of ammo through the pistol and if any problems crop up I work on curing them, since I reload I would shoot hundreds of rounds through the pistols, up to 500 or so a session.
" 1) Verify chamber dimensions and lead into barrel rifling"----Ive never done this if the pistol shot well that was good enuf, thats not same as to verify that it locks up tight at the front bushing and the locking lug is fitted correctly. One thing I started doin a few years back which does seem to help with cleaning is to have a gun smith take a reamer and ream away a small potion of the shoulder of the rifling near the chamber...You are supposed to lose a minor amount of fps doing this, but I cant tell the difference.

"2) Check the tension on the extractor (tune it) and verify that it is cut correctly and polish."----its a minor thing that any competent gun smith can do, and unless I was having problems with ejection I wouldnt mess with it, I would think that if the pistol is ejecting its fit right and shooting the thing will polish it.....JMO.

"4) Verify barrel is throated properly. If not correct it. Polish the throat"-----Never had this kind of problem with my barrels, and I prefer clark although the factory shoots as well.

"5) Polish the the feed ramp."----some I have done this on and some I havent, cant tell a difference, this generally came about because quite a while back Hi-powers and gubmint mdls would not feed the hollowpoints and in order to make them feed them, gunsmiths would go in and in some cases have to recontour the ramp and in most a light polishing not removing any disceernable metal from the feed ramp would suffice, if the pistol is starting to jam Id look at this area, although Id most likely swap magazines a few dozen times first to make sure the problem was the ramp. Ive one pistol here that the barrel has waves in the ramp its never had a lick of work done to it and will shoot with absolute reliability and accuracy comprable to any of my clark barreled guns.
I had to play advocate here but if you can find a smith who will do the work on this type of package reasonable and it would ensure your confidence in that pistol you might want to do it----I wouldnt pay a fortune for it and once again if the big name smith is what you need to ensure your confidence in that pistol by all means send it to em-----personally id try to shoot it to pieces and see if it has any problems. One other thing these "carry packages" were they go in and round all the sharp edges off we use to just think the guy didnt know how to polish a gun..lol...I had a smith who would lightly break the edges, Id like to try one and see what I tought of those super melded (polished) pistols.......fubsy.

Back