Reliability of new Browning autos...

Bogie

Okay - I'm not a shotgun person, but a friend of mine has asked me to look into this - He's decided he wants a "Browning Gold 20 gauge" for a field gun... He is concerned about reliability and weight. When I suggested he try several kinds of shotguns, he replied that he is "a Browning man," and won't have anything else. He has a couple of Auto 5s, and I suggested he look for a used one in 20 gauge, but he's decided that he wants new...

So, what should I tell him? Does it take a licking and keep on ticking? I suspect it may end up getting the 'spray with WD40 and promise to clean it next time' treatment - I've never been shooting with the guy, but talking with him that's the impression I get...

If there is a better 20 ga. autoloader than the Browning I am not aware of it. Get the 26 inch barrel and don't look back.

I have a Browning Gold Hunter 12ga. w/ 28" barrel and other than not being able to cycle light loads (7/8 oz) it has performed without a problem. I would say it is a very reliable gun. The auto load feature is real nice too but I don't know if that feature comes in a 20 ga. Even the folks at Shotgun Report, who simply love the 391, admit the Gold is more reliable in bad weather. So for a field gun if the 20 is as good as the 12 then I'd tell your friend to get it. Of course, I clean mine religiously after every shoot.

Back