Relay your Shooting w bifocals experience

1stmar

So I had an awakening moment this last weekend at the range. For months I have been struggling with my vision. Many of my rifles are irons only and I much prefer to shoot with irons. Many are also carbine length. I am diabetic and my vision seems to change from day to day a bit. I'd frequently go to the range and have different experiences. Some days I could see the target sharply other days I could not. Some days I could see the front sight sharply other days I could not. Well this weekend I figured it out and not sure why it took so long. With carbine length rifles I need my prescription reading glasses to see the front sight. But when I shift my vision to the target to establish a sight picture the target is too fuzzy to get a solid aiming point. Other days the target and front sight were clear. I thought it was the lighting or my vision.
This past weekend I brought a garand and an shorty ar and while shooting the ar I used my glasses (struggled for sight picture) switched to the garand and had to take off my glasses to see the front sight. Target was also clearer. Bottom line the sight radius for carbine length rifles is too short for me not to use glasses but then the glasses impairs my vision on the target. The garand is perfect length for my vision. I can take my glasses off and see both front sight and target. Long way to say I need bifocals for carbines. It wasn't different day's I was struggling with it was different rifles.
My question is will I be able to shift my vision from front sight to target and back with out adjusting my head position and will I be able to get a good stock weld with bifocals or am I going to need some funky head position. I hate getting old.
I know the target should not be clear when shooting but you need to establish a solid aiming point first. I can not make out a good consistent aiming point when wearing my glasses.
Curious what you guys are doing.

Last edited:
I had bi-focals and then, later, tri-focals.

My solution was to have a glued-on lens at the upper-inner corner of my aviator shaped glasses. (Approximately 1/2" x 3/4".) It replicated the panel or arms-length distance of focus. That made iron sights for handguns to be quite sharp, with only slight fuzziness of the target.

I didn't have to move my head with either irons or a scope on a rifle.

Thanks art. Was the lens something an optometrist made for you ? I assume the main lens was prescription reading lens?

Really, about like the middle part of a tri-focal. The deal is to have sharp focus out at arm's length.

My optometrist worked out the amount of correction and specs and the lab did the glue-in.

I put one of these on my safety glasses: http://www.walmart.com/ip/38092969?...10452352&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84285506192&veh=sem

A drop of water holds them on, and you can stick just one on your dominant side in the upper corner (bifocals typically have the magnification lens on the lower half).

What a difference it makes! I still practice without it though, in a self defense situation I don't think the bad guy is going to wait while I put on my glasses but when target shooting they work wonders.

For a target shooting application one suggestion is to use a correction that allows you to focus at a distance twice the sight radius of the gun. This figures that the eye can clearly focus on the front sight but still have a reasonable view of the bull. Fuzzy but enough hold confidently. Finding an optometrist who understands what your trying to do may be difficult. They are very important but mostly are only concerned with your ability to not bump into things and read. Shooting is a different way of using your eyes. Something they may not have experience with. A cheap test would be to buy several pairs of dollar store reading glasses in increasing powers. Try each till you find a balance. Investing four or five dollars might be more effective then a doctor unable to understand your needs.

Bifocals = coke bottles with grease.

Go to your Opthamologist with a toy gun with somewhat accurate sights. (Ask First).
She cut me a special lens for the strong eye so that it gave me the best sight condition and the target for 15 yards.
She cut the sweet spot for the lens so that it aligned with the sight where I naturally hold the sight. Not in the center but slightly to the left of the right eye lens.
Works for me.

Back