Rejuvinating old S/W Model 65

Blue Duck357

I have an old SW 65-3, lots of dings and scratches, lousy trigger, even has some light pitting just covered by the Pachmayr grips. The gun was actually initially a police trade in and looks like it's had a lot of rounds through it. Since this firearm does have sentimental value to me I'd like to get it back to tip top shape.

I'd like to have it refinished, get a trigger job, maybe have the chambers chamfered (any other suggestions?). I was considering the S/W performance center to do the work but don't know much about there reputation. Any ideas advice or suggestions on other shops appreciated. Would also like any guestimates on how much the above work should cost.

Thanks, Blueduck

PS, anyone know the differece between SW's "Satin" and "Brush" refinishing jobs?

I sent a very ratty old M-57 back to Smith for refinishing in nickel last year and they did an absolutely first class job for not much more than the other places. They also replaced some internal parts.

I believe what we refer to as a matte, or bead-blast, finish is what they call 'satin'. The original finish, with all of the fine 'grain' is what is known as brushed.

You might just want to try to give it a good polishing job with 320 grit triwet paper and finish up with a finer grit.
It takes some work but the feeling of having it done yourself will be rewarding.

About a month. They called with the estimate, I gave my credit card number and it was back very soon after that. If you send it thru a dealer they don't charge him as much.

The S&W service department refurbished several of my revolvers--stainless, blue, and nickel. I didn't ask for custom work, though. I just wanted them returned reasonably close to their original specs and condition. All of them came back with good function and good appearance.

Thanks for the help! I'll call S/W Monday and request an action job, basic tune up, and satin refinish. I figure the price for all this would likely cover a VG to ex 65, but like I said it does have sentimental value.

Thanks, Blueduck

Blue Duck,
I have to tell you, I really like the model 65. I have one 3 inch and one 4 inch barrel. I engoy shooting them. The 4 inch barrel was a new in box GA State Police trade in, when they went to semi's. It has the laser name etch on the side. It shoots very well.:)

Just in case anyone was following I called SW today, they said refinish would be $123, action Job $87 and chamfer charge holes $25. They said if I got the action job I would not need the "basic tuneup" I requested as that would be taken care of with the action job. They also got my address to send me a Fed ex label.

I know it might sound a bit silly to spend $250 or so on a gun worth about the same (or less), but like I said it has sentimental value and I can't really get a good gun for $250 anyway so I guess it's money well spent.

Thanks for all the help, Blueduck

Oh, Pz, thanks for the suggestion, but everytime I try to get that "feeling of accomplishment from doing it myself" I end up with a hounddog look on my face standing outdside the gunshop with a bag of parts in my hand. A mans gotta know his limitations :)

Blue Duck, I don't think it's silly at all. When my father-in-law passed away, he left me several old guns. The price value on them are proabaly very little, but I would give almost anything for them. Some things are hard to put a dollar value on. Years ago I asked someone if something I was about to buy was worth it. He said, "It's what it worth to you." I always gone by that idea since then, I never regreted any purchase after that:)

Back