Reinventing the .30 Luger

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Seems that all these new pistol cartridge designs are things we have seen before. I can see someone remaking the .30 Luger by necking down the 9mm to .30 cal and calling it the .30 Super.

While some of these are good rounds... I'ld like to see one done crazy. .50 AE case necked to .40.

Not really, boing...

38 *cough*cough* Casull is a long cartridge suitable only for a holster pistol. 357 SIG is short enough to fit 9mm Parabellum pocket pistols.

"Dick" is putting one over on anyone who buys his 38. A 30-30 Lever Action Carbine will carry a lot further and hit harder than a 38 Dick, I mean Casull.

Talk about solutions to nonexistent problems: 454 Casull; and now, 38 Casull.

BigG

A pistol and a carbine are two differant types of firearm.
Are you going to gripe at Contendar shooters who use .223 because they could just buy an AR15?

Your wise words aren't.

.454 was indeed a usefull development for many handgun hunters. Putting it in with the .38 Casull is a bit much.

Now, if I wanted an overheated 9mm or .38, I'm not sure if I would want the Casull in this case. If I remember right - the 9MM Winchester Magnum was hotter. I may be wrong.

No,

P.T. Barnum said it a lot better than me, ShinTao, "There's one born every minute."

A pistol and a rifle are two different things. If you want a pistol that hits like a rifle, get a rifle. You can quote me on that.

Yes! You are a font of eternal wisdom!

We are foolish to seek more powerfull pistol cartridges.

I will joing the corus of disdain for all new firearms developments.

And I will quote you. I'd be fool not to.

Oh, well.

I knew there was no reason to have my 10" Wichita pistol. Guess I should sell it, but then, I'd only spend the money on a .45-70 BFR.

Oops, that's another pistol that hits like a rifle...

I've seen a number of European made .30 cal Browning Hi Powers for sale and wondered about buying them. Truthfully I'd rather have a LUGER in 30 cal luger, or a mauser c-96. Remember that prior to the introduction of the 357 magnum the 30 luger was the most powerful handgun cartridge around (on paper anyway)... but I do see your point George a lot of new ctgs are bottlenecks..

That 357 sig is notorious for bullet set back.. never heard that complaint about the 30 Luger.. any other bottleneck pistol rounds having this problem??

Big G = its not that we want pistols that hit like rifles...
Its just that we want rifles that are the size of pistols.

And no more personal remarks guys. Mutual respect, or no comments.

OK by me

Lest we get carried away with ourselves can anybody answer me this? How come in the three occasions I've been on the range in the presence of the hallowed Freedom Arms 454 Casull the person was always eager for me to fire it but would not fire it themselves? I mean the ammo was probably a buck a shot. I admit it kicks a fair bit more than the 44 Magnum. I don't think it has any more effective range, however.

It is pretty much vanity that a person wants the biggest baddest whatever, I guess. But shooting it is another story.

Dr. Robb,

Actually, that would have been the .30 Mauser. The .30 Mauser, or 7.62 Mauser, was significantly more powerful than the .30 Luger cartridge.

And not to pick nits, the .30 Mauser wasn't the most powerful. It had the highest muzzle velocity.

actually the .45 colt was the most powerfull handgun cartridge until the advent of the .357 mag. many would argue that it was the limitations of the guns it was chambered in not the cartridge.
if we had handguns like the Blackhawk and Freedom Arms back then the .357 mag would have had a run for its money.

I recall reading somewhere that the .30 Luger (or maybe the .30 Mauser) would penetrate body armor better than the 9mm Parabellum. Dunno...

I remember my first Super Blackhawk with hot .44 Maggie rounds. Took a bit of getting used to, but was quite "shootable". I haven't shot the single-action .454 Casull, but I have shot a friend's Raging Bull.

The shape and the material of the grips, plus the porting, make the Bull a reasonable shooter--if you have enough ear protection. The recoil isn't particularly notable, but Oh, My Lord!, the noise!!! My friend shot double-taps with hot 260-grain loads as readily as I do .45ACP, at 10 and 15 yards. As a sidearm in big-bear country, it would be my choice--but heavier bullets, I think.

Heck, I'll shoot anybody's toy, if they're buying the ammo--although I don't think I'll sight in your .460 Wby for you.

:), Art

Yes, I too have heard that .30 Luger was quite able to ventilate body armour...
A Luger, in... uh... .30 Luger might make a great alternative to the FN FiveseveN. And an Uzi chambered for it might make a great alternative to the P90. (I am really not impressed with the P90, but love the Uzi)

I'd like to see some radical cartridges come out. A 9mm necked down to .30 cal or .25 cal would be very interesting. Maybe not practical, but interesting. A .25 cal bullet approaching 2000 fps from a handgun sure would be an interesting round. I don't think I would have much use for it, but it might do some people good.

9 necked down to .30 has been done. Thats the .30 Luger I was talking about.

Now, going down to .25? Hmm - what would you call it?
.25APC-PPC?

I have seen .30 Luger necked-down to .25 and .22. I'm not sure if guns were ever chambered, but the guy who showed me the cartridges is a big-time Luger fan and 'smith. I've made some "super" .30 Luger brass by cutting down and necking 9x23 cases; left full-length, and fired in a properly chambered gun, a 7.65x23 loaded up to 45,000 CUP might have some interesting ballistics.

Back