Regulations for purchasing firearms in Colorado

cje1980

I usually don't have too many legal questions regarding firearms but I just can't figure this one out. I live in Colorado and have a buddy that is interested in selling a Marlin 39A rifle. The price is simply too good to pass up and I know I couldn't find one anywhere else for that kind of price. What would be required in order for me to purchase the firearm from him? I've only purchased firearms from stores and pawn shops that do background checks.

Anybody familiar with purchasing or selling firearms in Colorado that could help? Do we need to go to an FFL or can I simply give him the money and be done with it?

Thanks,

That is what I thought. Do you think it would be wise for him to create a bill of sale with the serial number?

When I really think about it. If the firearm had been known to be used in a crime, the police would already have it. I don't think it should be much of a problem.

Thanks

That is what I thought. Do you think it would be wise for him to create a bill of sale with the serial number?

That all depends on how well you know him and how much you trust him. A bill of sale is nothing more than a receipt for your money and a receipt for his gun.

Bill of Sale?

Sure, get a bill of sale that identifies the minimal particulars of item description, serial no., and identification of the seller and buyer. You may never need it, but I think of having a BOS as an insurance policy.

The above is assuming your buddy also lives in Colorado.

If he lives in a different state then you need to go through an FFL in Colorado.

If he is a good buddy I don't know that I would worry about a bill of sale... I'd just write my own note that the you bought the gun from him on a certain date for a certain amount. This is mainly for if something happens to you and your survivors have any questions.

Last edited:
Back