Registration = prohibition: a lesson from Brazil

Leo Daher

Friends,

I'd like to give you all the latest news from Brazil, concerning gun control. I think there's a lesson to be learned here.
Two years ago, president Fernando Henrique Cardoso, then in his first mandate, sanctioned a law aimed at regulating firearms. There weren't many restrictive aspects to it, other than the fact that carrying without a permit, which used to be a misdemeanor, became a crime. Among this law's provisions was an "amnesty period", during which owners of unregistered guns were encouraged to register them, making them legal.
About two months ago - for the first time in his political career - president Cardoso expressed his desire to ban the private ownership of firearms. He had just returned from a trip to England, where, he claims, some local government official asked him why Brazil wouldn't follow the prohibitionist lead of the British. Coincidence or not, this statement happened during a live TV interview; the original subject was the latest financial scandal, involving some of his closest collaborators. It's not hard to see this move as a "smoke screen" of sorts...
Last Tuesday (06/01), Cardoso sent Congress a new project, urging them to approve it "with utmost urgency" (the real important issues get postponed for years, and sometimes are never voted). The new law would ban the sale of firearms and ammunition, except to the armed forces, police departments and private security firms. Regular citizens would have 360 days to surrender their legally bought, registered firearms. Those caught carrying would be arrested whithout the possibility of bail. All shooting sports would also be outlawed.
The fact that most people oppose such arbitrary, demagogic measures is simply disregarded by the "elite" in power. Here, all politicians have the right to carry concealed, and the new law has no provisions to change that; meanwhile, ex-presidents are allowed the services of two bodyguards and a chauffeur for the rest of their lives - paid with our money, of course.
The media, predictably, plays the government's game, pretending there's no dissention and trying to "educate" the population through an outrageously biased coverage and indoctrination campaigns. Even though we've been holding "free" elections for the last few years, Brazil has no tradition of democracy, and it shows.
Like I said, there's a lesson to be learned here: do NOT fall for any gun registration schemes! Don't let anybody tell you it's "reasonable" and "only a small compromise". Registration is the first step towards prohibition.
Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Leo Daher
BTW, does anybody know a good immigration lawyer? I'm not kidding.

If you need a sponsor, I doubt if anybody here would turn you down. On the other hand, you might be trading one set of problems for another.

Is Kalifornia a part of Brazil? This is another example of why I think that CCW is dangerous.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Destructo6,

As for "trading one set of problems for another": I realize your freedoms are also under constant attack (some journalist once said Cardoso was a lot like Klinton and UK's Tony Blair - and I think he meant it as a compliment...). However, you have a tradition of respect for the individual rights that can't be found anywhere else in the world. I had the privilege of residing in the U.S. for about five years, and all I can say is: I wish we could choose where we are born! Granted, many Americans don't value their freedoms half as much as they should, but you can still get organized and fight for what's right. Here, the vast majority of people just don't give a damn!
While in the U.S., I made sure I became a member of the NRA (and also got certified as Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Personal Protection instructor), besides contributing regularly to the ILA. But it's tough when you're almost completely on your own, banging your head against the wall because no one else seems to care! It's terrible when you look around and all you see is corruption, favoritism and selfishness.
I do appreciate what you said about a sponsorship. I am a college grad with a pretty decent set of skills (as a matter of fact, I have a good job here, but me and my wife would be willing to leave in a heartbeat). I know for sure that you guys are a great bunch, and I sorely miss being away from the forums for the last few months, but all my free time is being dedicated to campaigning against this arbitrary and demagogic law.

Regards,

Leo Daher

First, welcome Leo - glad to have a neighbor (am in Cordoba, Argentina) on The Firing Line.

Second - as you probably know, we also have had a full registration scheme for a number of years now. It was begun in the chaos of terrorists and lunatic fringe government that afterwards led to the military coup (and subsequent over reaction in a "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" scenario that 'disappeared' so many); we were hardly in a position to oppose it!

The Registro Nacional de Armas - RENAR, is one of the few effective organizations here. So far so good: Conditions for 'registration' are virtually a 'certificate of good citizenship' - much as a credit card and bank account can be proof of solvency and honesty. The current reasoning behind RENAR is that any confiscation of registered 'gun users' weapons would be a conspiracy between the government and (unregistered of course) felons and scum in general. Our only hope is getting as many people - especially those on 'the media' to understand that confiscation schemes such as in the UK and Australia have not worked - and in fact crime rates have actually increased in these countries

Their governments have become partners with the criminals.

Though they wallow in privileges denied to us common folk, our "representatives" (once elected, most of them would be highly surprised to find that they are supposed to be that) don't pay much attention to such simple notions - with some exceptions:

I think we must ferret these out, and give them well presented, reasoned and clear arguments; concise, one issue at a time and well documented .

At worst, we'd go down fighting. At best, projects such as Cardoso's would get filed with all the other half-baked junk that our 'legislators' can spew out.

Whatever - were on the same tightrope: Keep us posted on how the bill is doing in your congress... best of luck!

Peter Knight ("El Chimango Pete")

Hi, Pete.

My wife is Argentinian - her mother "disappeared" when she was only six months old (I have very little tolerance for dictatorships, whether left or right-wing). We went to Buenos Aires last year for a few days, and I truly enjoyed it; her folks were very hospitable. I believe she has a cousin who lives in Cordoba.
For what I understand, your gun laws are a lot less restrictive than ours. Civilians in Brazil are not allowed to buy revolvers with higher calibers than .38 Special, or pistols above .380 ACP; the same goes for carbines, believe it or not (meanwhile, criminals have loads of full-auto rifles, hand grenades and even rocket launchers, either smuggled or stolen from the armed forces). The list of restrictions is too long to mention.
I wonder if you guys have an organization in the molds of the NRA, where you can get together and fight for your rights; if you don't, the time to start it is NOW. Don't make the same mistake we did around here: we've recently created the National Association of Firearms Owners and Dealers (ANPCA) to fight against prohibition, but I'm affraid it might be too little, too late (that won't stop me from fighting, though)...

Regards,

Leo Daher

I think CCW permits, while great - are a potiential tool or alias for registration. When I was a patrol deputy, one time I had made a simple stop, and when I ran the plates the dispatcher warned me that the registered owner was a permit holder, and that the subject was probably armed. I was actually tickled the guy had a permit - cause if he did... then he was a "good guy" and I didn't worry.

That happened once - I was soon to leave that career. (it was a wife-thing) But it showed me that these permits become public records. And as such - IS REGISTRATION. As much as I support CCWs and have advocated getting them ASAP when ever possible... NO MORE.

The Older Liners who know me here know I used to be Spit and polished LEO... Well... the longer I have been out - the more cynical I have become. The more distrusting. I now have "Rage Against The Machine" as a signature... I am totally anti government. Looking at all other countries... other governments... I find they are ALL disgustingly, over-bloated, mongers and criminal abusers of the citizens. ALL of THEM. I am not HATEFULL, I just dont trust them... I dont believe a word they say. And I dont believe they have our best interests in mind. (DUH!) They have there own agendas that they are working on REGARDLESS of what THE PEOPLE want. And GOD can't help you if you get in the way.

*sigh*

Wow... I said it out loud...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Kodiak,

Amen!
The fact is, if you have a conscious, freedom-loving citizenry - at least a decent number of them - then you can keep a leash on Big Brother. If not, it's only a matter of time till you become a slave - or get the hell out and move to a better place.
At the age of four, my wife had to leave Argentina with her father and take asylum in France as a refugee. A couple days ago, I arrived home to find her crying. "I hate being forced to flee again", she said, referring to the current prohibitionist climate, "but they're giving us no choice". I love her dearly, and I'm glad she's a hundred per cent with me. When the time comes, we'll do what has to be done, in order to remain free.

Regards,

Leo Daher

Good immigration lawyer in Orlando FL:
Kraig Johnson
Zimmerman, Shuffield, Kiser, Sutclieffe PA
Suite 600, Landmark Center One
315 East Robinson St
Orlando FL 32802 Phone 407-425-7010
One of the good guys

Great, bradleyt - that's exactly what I need!
I'll be getting in touch with him ASAP.
I can't thank you enough for that.

Take care, friend.

Leo Daher

The historical track record is that registration has invariably led to confiscation. True for Europe, true for New York state. Probably true for California's "assault" weapons, isn't it? If not now, later...

And, I believe, eventually in Argentina and Brazil.

For certain believe that "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

Hey, folks, I have a question here, since several posts seem to actually be surprised somehow that registration leads to confiscation; can anybody come up with an actual reason for registration BESIDES confiscation? Because I have never heard one. I have been through arguments with antis before on the subject, and even they cannot come up with a single valid reason other than to ease confiscation.

I have in fact thought seriously on the subject, and considered the "reasons" I did get, and not a one stood up at all. That is what registration is about, and it is ALL registration is about.

Larry P.

Back