Register Swords?

Hmmmmm.....that's strange, I figured the UK to be a crime free utopia with no guns.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Police Constable Tom Tracey clubbed the man with an organ pipe and another parishioner forced him back using a large crucifix.
"Thankfully, the policeman had the presence of mind to pull out one of the organ pipes and use it to hold the man at bay," parish priest John O'Toole said.

Yes, it was good thinking. Otherwise he would have had to run all the way to the police station to get his pistol which is safely locked in the trunk of his car.

Too bad one of the church members couldn't pull out their own legally licensed concealed carry sword and put an end to the attack. Luckey the church had the sense to install a multi-barreled defensive pipe organ.

I long for the good old days when churches didn't even have locks on the doors.

Register Swords? I guess that was a jest but there is actually a move by the British Government to register the sale of all knives and swords. A pilot scheme ran in Coventry and is credited with reducing knife crime in the city.

Even though he was naked he violated numerous laws, carrying an "offensive" weapon in a public place is a criminal offence.

------------------
"Quemadmoeum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."
("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands.") -
Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD).

Lone Ranger

Worse than just "registration", I'm afraid ...

'TIME TO REVIEW LAW' ON SWORDS

News/Current Events News
Source: Press Association UK
Published: 11/29/99
Posted on 11/28/1999 23:09:55 PST by kattracks

A Labour MP is urging Home Secretary Jack Straw to review legislation on the ownership of machetes and swords.

The moves comes after a naked man ran amok in a south London church, attacking people indiscriminately with a Samurai sword.

Dennis Turner said he was "horrified" to hear about the attack at Thornton Heath church, three years after a similar incident in
his Wolverhampton South East constituency.

Adults and children were wounded in 1996 when they were attacked by Horrett Campbell, 32, who wielded a two-foot machete during a teddy bears' picnic at St Luke's Nursery School, Wolverhampton.

Nursery nurse Lisa Potts, then 19, was struck six times with the machete and won the George Medal for trying to shield children from him.

Unlike legislation which outlawed handguns after the 1996 Dunblane tragedy, there is no law to prevent people from having a
ceremonial sword hanging in their home.

Mr Turner said Sunday's attack heightened pressure on Mr Straw to look again at the Prevention of Crime Act 1953, which
makes it an offence to carry a sword or machete in a public place, but not to keep it in the home.

"What we need to do is invite the Home Secretary to review the present legislation and now is the right time in the light of what happened in Wolverhampton and now this further attack in south London," he said.

"I would think that there is always a risk to public safety of anyone having a machete or sword in their possession."

I was in England when this happened. In all the papers there was not a mention of what would have happened if only one person had a concealed carry. There was an article accompanying the one on the attack written by a police chief stating the high rate of home invasion and personal assault that was happening in England could be attributed to the hand gun band and that the only one suffering by the ban was law abiding citizens.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but . . . after axes and other tools have been outlawed, martial artists are forced to register themselves as deadly weapons, getting CCLs for their feet, their hands if working or during winter, their heads if wearing a hat.

(Sorry for overdoing it.)

Johnny Got, I hate to tell you, but at one time in the NJ-NY area, they either had a law or were considering a law that professional boxers had to be registered with the police, as their fists were considered to be "deadly weapons".

Back