Refurbishing Faded 3-Dot Pistol Sights

lwestatbus

I got a good deal on a used S&W 3913 but an having a great deal of trouble shooting it accurately, in part due to aging eyes but in part due to fading of the white 3-dot sights on the pistol.

Took it to the range today for the first time and was firing good groups 8" low at 20'. Ouch. Again, groups were consistent and reasonably tight. I asked the range master to have a go with it and he put three rounds right through the bulls eye. In the same session I was shooting a brand new Kimber Micro 9 with crisp new 3-dot white sights (not night sights) and putting the rounds right where I wanted them to go.

I need to refurbish the white in the S&W sights and am looking for ideas. The dots are deeply recessed and actually seem to have an outer ring and an inner ring on them. I have sight paint and was thinking of using a toothpick to put drops into the sight recesses. But before I did this I wanted to check with everyone out there to see if there were better ideas.

More info: I am able to use the sights by aligning the top of the front post with the top of the rear blade, I think. But with my vision it is a guessing game as to which of the fuzzy lines in the front should line up with which of the fuzzy lines in the rear. I had no trouble lining up the dots on the Kimber so am really expecting good things if I can get the S&W sights restored.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Larry

Ha....! I always use sight paint and like to brighten my sights up also....aging eyes..... I also use a toothpick, if you are really good you can't tell the difference from factory

On several of mine, I've used a toothpick to add a very small drop of ceramic white, or lately, bright fluorescent orange Testors model paint. So far, the Testors has held up well through several shootings and cleanings.

I've also had good luck with testors paint, just make sure to use the enamel and not the acrylics

Tried a few birchwood Casey "paint pens" and have been happy with them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know about "sight paint," the stuff I tried was pastel, not bright.
I have seen sights painted with model paint, appliance touchup, car touchup, and fingernail polish. I use Model Master Fluorescent Red over white.

8" low at 20 FEET is serious error. There may be something going on besides faded spots.

8" low at 20 FEET is serious error. There may be something going on besides faded spots.

Agree. I think you could use a sight refresh, but that far low is shooter induced, not the sights. At first I thought your ammo might be a lot of it but you said someone else shot several to POA with the same gun, sights, and ammo. Hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

Sharpie Extra Fine Marker - Oil Based White Paint.

Amazon has 'em. That's what I've been using for the past couple of years to restore white dot sights.

You mention the sights have an outer ring and an inner ring, is there a chance that they are worn out night sights? I have a Berretta 92F with worn out night sights and that is the way they appear. My Beretta is at Trijicon now getting re-lamped. If that is the case for your gun you may want to contact the manufacturer and see what it would cost to re-lamp. Then again, maybe that is just the way the sights look on that model gun.

Amazon has 'em. That's what I've been using for the past couple of years to restore white dot sights.
These work great.

As for shooting, if you shoot from a rest, is it at point of aim?

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks Much

Thanks for the replies.

I am definitely going to try the Sharpie oil-based marker. I tried to do the toothpick with Testors paint approach but got too big a glob on the sights. Had to wipe it all off so having more precise control will be helpful.

I just don't know what is going on with my point of impact. I am a very experienced shooter and in the same session took my Kimber Micro 9 out for its maiden voyage and was hitting right where I wanted to. And I regularly shoot 1911s, two different S&W revolvers, and even a S&W 6906 with no difficulty.

There was a distinct difference in the visibility of the sights between my Micro 9 and the 3913, though. And the 3913 does have an odd feel in my hand because of the overly thin grips. Just received new Hogue replacements that are supposed to beef up the grip a bit so I'll also see if that helps.

Thanks again for the advice.

I would be tempted to try cleaning them. If a cotton-swab alone doesn't work a little rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol if you have some.

If you end up painting them then a clean surface will help paint adhesion.

Are you using 6 o'clock hold? Was the range expert using it like combat sights? That difference can severely alter POI. It certainly can explain such a severely low POI. Back to the sights.................

I still think you can do it with a toothpick best ( unless they are night sights as another person said). If the dot area is concave as you stated, it will be fairly easy.

First clean the sights well with either acetone or lacquer thinner ( be careful to only clean what you are painting).

Place the gun down muzzle down and support it in the angle that keeps the sight indent completely vertical ( let gravity work for you). Then get a piece of paper, and practice what size drop of paint you need to use for the sight. You will quickly see what is too much or too little.

You want the paint to fill the area ( not completely fill it, but close) and it will self level due to gravity.

The drop of paint on your toothpick will transfer to the sight, if you place it there carefully. You basically want to touch the drop of paint to the sight, not use the toothpick like a paint brush. Also, as the toothpick becomes saturated with the paint, the application and transfer becomes more predictable.

If you really want to get practice to do a great sight restoration , find a piece of steel, and use a 3/32 drill bit and drill just enough to create a shallow pocket. You will use about 1/2 the depth of the drill bit tip. If possible, make the pocket as close to the gun's sight size as possible.

Once you get the knack of applying it, then you can find the color that works best for you. Once you master the application of the paint dot, then changing colors in the future will be easy for you.

I hope this works out for you

Rich

Pay attention to the above posts.

You probably have depleted night sights.
Filling with paint is probably not the correct solution.

If you insist, I recommend Gloss White model paint.
The Gloss White seems to make the dots "pop" more then Flat White paint.

Before filling use 90% alcohol to degrease the holes and allow to dry.
The reason sight dots sometimes fail to stay in the hole is because when they were made someone forgot to degrease the holes.
Paints don't adhere to oily metal.

After filling allow to dry at least overnight before applying a lube to prevent rust.
Paint tends to stay wet in tiny holes longer.

Progress So Far

Onward Allusion Posted:

After the false start with the toothpick approach I picked up the oil based paint pen at Michaels. Stole my wife's 50% off one item coupon and got it for under $2. Cleaned up the sights really well with paint thinner and let dry overnight then filled in the dots. Let them dry and then filled them again.

Sights look really nice but... I still have trouble focusing on these particular sights and I just don't know why. Was going to take them to the range today but wife had other plans. Maybe tomorrow.

Also put on Hogue rubber grips which gives a MUCH nicer feel to the pistol compared to the skinny factory grips.

Back