Refurbished P7M8.....

JG

Has anyone seen, have one of these refurbished (by HK) P7M8's-Police trade in guns. Heard the German Police Crest is scratched off, but other than that they look OK. They are a lot cheaper than a new one, don't know what to do? Any info would be great.

JG, check it out man. I got one for $600.00. The police symbol is grinded off very precisely, not a slop job. I compared it to a new one, couldn't tell the difference. It is also my most accurate 9MM.

I have heard of some probs but nothing serious. HK DOES NOT OFFER A WARRANTY WITH IT. Expect to pay around $600.00-700.00.

Good luck and please let me know how you make out.

Posters to the HK-L have had three complaints:

1. The refinishing leaves the slide with a purple tint.
2. The dots in the sights have fallen out.
3. Despite the presence of a warranty card and some dealers' representations, the gun has no warranty from HK.

Other posters to the HK-L are very happy with theirs.

Wow, this is going to be a tough one-called a dealer near me (on good terms with them)- they have refurbished ones for $650 and can get me a new one for like $1000-$1020. Thats a nice difference in $-but having no warranty isn't such a great situation either, I'll bet there is good refurbished P7M8's and probably some shi*ty ones as well-I'm just going to have to go over there and have a look. Thanks for the info gentleman-you'll be the first to know what I do.

JG. On the Purple / Brown Hue matter..... They all have them, refurb / used and new ITB.

The Blueing process has to do with the type of metal HK uses on those slides.

They all look good no matter what.

JG. On the Purple / Brown Hue matter..... They all have them, refurb / used and new ITB.

The Blueing process has to do with the type of metal HK uses on those slides.

They all look good no matter what color.

Just purchased a refurbished P7M8. Had a choice between it and a NIB P7 PSP. Made the choice because of the $300.00 difference and I prefer the mag release on the M8. Purchase price $609.00. I hope I made the correct
choice.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the small portion of the slide that was machined off. I was given two separate reasons for this. One lister said it was to ensure that HK would not honor the warranty since
it was a LE gun and refurbished. The other said it was to remove the German Police seal or something like that, part of the deal of the buyback.

The section machined is not too deep. Is there any refinishing that can be done to fill in this part? Or maybe something can be engraved into it to make the section less conspicuous?

Where and who can I get them from. Bought one for $800 local and want a second.

Who knows where I can find a fact refurb in the $600s?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Reflex,

I'm sure they all do look good- reblued
or new, the only thing that would probably eat at my brain (if any) would be the etched off markings in the slide-thats something I would definitely have to see to make a decision.

jtduncan-my local gun store has them for like
$650-$689. Thats the cheapest I have seen them (internet, local shops, Gunlist). I'm sure they can be had cheaper though, like anything else.

Roadking:

I heard it was to remove the German Police markings (HK-L list). In June, HK told me that the refurbished P7s had belonged to the German Police, though no mention was made about the removal of the markings. I don't think that HK would have made such a conspicuous mark only to identify it as a non-warrantied P7 because a marking on the inside of the slide would have done the same thing.

jtduncan,

I have to admit, the asking price of the P7 I purchased was in the mid $600. I frequent the store a lot and have purchased three handguns and a AR-15 within the past year. I guess being in law enforcement helps too. I tend to get breaks in price at this shop.

I have been looking at these pistols for some time. I have a new P7M8 and wanted to keep it perfect, so I started shopping for a "truck gun". .......you know you've had a good year when you are lucky enough to have a P7 as a truck gun...

I don't like the purple/red color of the slides as all and thought these were substandard pistols, or an experimental finishes, or whatever. They looked fine internally, but that color turned me off.
I got in touch with a dealer from the HKpro forun list and he assured me that some HK's change color and it's normal. Several weeks after shopping used HK's at shops, gunshows, and online......I found enough pictures and saw enough guns to ease my mind.

I've heard alot about these guns. One shop said they were "German Secret Police guns", another said they were NJ turn ins, another said unissued b/c they were too expensive. I bought one last week and will say that if this isn't a NEW gun, it has been broken down into it's component parts and TOTALLY refurbished. I took the grips off and compared it to my new P7, and except for the slide being slightly purple, these guns are identical. On the "used" $700 gun there is no wear that I can detect anywhere. The grips are new, the heat shield is new, the decock level has almost no wear, the frame is black and has no dings, the grip screws are either new or have never been dinged by a screwdriver.
I would guess that this gun has been in storage for 8 years, or HK rebuilt it to new specs. I have no problem with depending on it. If HK goes thru refurbished pistols like my German girlfriend cleans house..........I have no problems (I have seen her walk across the living room and reach down to pick up an NDIVIDUAL dog hair from the carpet).

I plan to have mine NP3 coated and carry it every day here in Georgia.
I heard a dealer in Shotgun News sold some for $450, so that will give you an idea of what dealers have been paying.......

Anybody know where I can find a P7K3 in .22?

AWH

[This message has been edited by Allan33 (edited January 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Allan33 (edited January 02, 2000).]

............also, I found a left handed Galco Hi Jak holster at Auctionarms.com for $20. I don't know about other holsters, but this one holds the pistol way up high and at a pretty severe angle. The portion that is below the belt is tiny and I don't worry about someone being flashed by the muzzle/squared holster when I'm reaching the top shelf in a grocery store or bending over to check the oil in my truck.........

I have a H7K P7M8 with the grinder marks on the slide.

I broke the sear lever befor I fired 100 rounds through it, though I must have dry fired it hundreds of times.

The mishap occured with the chamber empty, the trigger depressed, and I was squeezing the cocking lever. The manual states that this is o.k, though I think that it puts great stress on the sear lever when the lever releases the firing pin. Try not to do this!

The factory refurbs have no warranty, so try not to deal with H&K in Sterling, VA. They provide terrible customer service. Purchase parts and repairs from H&K Dealers, and let them have the hassle of getting the parts from H&K USA.

I think that my P7M8 was new, or at least all of the internal parts were replaced. There were no wear marks at contact points, such as slide/frame, sear/firing pin. Now, after about 600 rounds, the bluing has worn off of these places. To me, this indicates that the gun was not used much before I purchased it.
It is a decent pistol, and I recommend the P7M8 to others.

Weimadog

Here is the skinny.

THe P7's with the grinder marks are the refurbs from german police. They are refurbished from "spec checks", in other words what needs to be replaced is replaced.

I'm not sure if NJSPD has any marks on them or not.

Mine had a new barrel, new heat shield, and grips. I got it for 600.00.

I looked at PLENTY of new ones and used ones, most have some sort of hue to them.

I also thought that the grind mark would bother me. After I bought it, it didn't. I appreciate the quality I got for the $$$. I'd trade that for a neat (literally, I really don't like it)) grind mark.

I'm going to have it refinished eventually but not because of the mark.

Good Question RK. I suppose that the slide can be further ground by the sides to flatten it out but I'm no gunsmith. Go to Birdsong and / or Arizona Response Systems.com and see if they have experience refinishing these P7's. If they do conceal the grind mark, let me know, I may do it.

Either that or I will check and post as soon as I get an answer.

FJC

[This message has been edited by REFLEX (edited January 02, 2000).]

Allan33-
Gunsamerica has a P7k3 listed with the .380 and .32 barrels and the .22 conversion.

I think Fountain Firearms has one also.

The milled mark is generally there for good according to the folks at Metaloy in Alabama who specialize in hard chroming and other fininshes for Wilson Combat. You'd pay dearly for the special metal work. Hardly noticeable.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Back