Refresh my memory- Parkerized ?

Darthmaum

I can't remember, what does the Parkerized blued finish look like on a Mossberg shotgun, as compared to their standard blued finish? (Or are they one and the same?)

Thanks for helping me out.

------------------
"At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Gun-Grabbers, at last we shall have revenge at The TFL End of Summer Meet on August 12 & 13, 2000..."

"Pray as if your life depends on God, Act as if it all depends on you..." -Texas Preacher

The parkerized finish is more of a grey look and rougher looking than a blued gun. Not near as shiny and more durable against the elements. Maybe somebody can post some more technical information here, as I have know idea what actually makes the difference in manufacturing steps etc.

Rutgers

A real Parkerized finish is one where the weapon is boiled in a phosphate solution. The matte finish oft seen recently is a bluing applied to an unpolished weapon. The Parkerized finish may be more rust resistant.

So is parkerized the same as phosphatized?

My SPAS 15 is phosphatized. As far as I know it is a relatively inexpensive finish which holds a lot of oil.

Point308.

There are different phosphate processes. Parkerizing, if I recall correctly, is magnesium phosphate. I don't recall what the other process(es) are -- I don't think they are as durable. All of them differ from bluing in that bluing is basically a controlled surface corrosion process, whereas phosphate processes deposit a layer on/into the surface of the metal. This is from my sometimes faulty memory.

Dave, I could be mistaken, but I thought that the current finish on the 870 PMs is another phosphate process, not bluing. I recently got one of Vang's Express barrels (which I've been told is bead-blasted metal that's blued), and the finish on it is very different from the PM barrel. FWIW...<g>

Thanks for the info guys! I've heard of Arizona Response Systems, and am thinking of sending my SIG P228 to them to have the slide "Parkerized." I've had a bad problem with it rusting.

------------------
"At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Gun-Grabbers, at last we shall have revenge at The TFL End of Summer Meet on August 12 & 13, 2000..."

"Pray as if your life depends on God, Act as if it all depends on you..." -Texas Preacher

Maybe I'm in error, J. The only newer 870 here at Casa McC is a Youth Express maybe 5 years old,and the finish is quite different from that on the bird 870, a "Parkerized" refinish.

The military went to Parkerizing for a tougher, less rust prone finish about the time the Springfield 03 was new.

Back