Reflex Sight and Laser

passtime

Greetings all. I have been looking for a OWB holster that will accommodate my Ruger SR45 with a slide mounted reflex sight and a Crimson Trace 201 Rail Master laser. I have found a few that will work with the optic but not the laser and visa versa. I have spent a quite a few hours trying to find one without success so I figured it was time to ask the experts here on the the Firing Line. It does not have to be anything tactical just functional. I will be using it for carrying the SR45 when walking around my property. I have a Safariland 578 GLS that will work with the optic but not work with the laser. If you have a suggestion for a particular holster I would sure appreciate it. Stay safe and healthy.

You could get one that accommodates the laser and then just cut an opening for the sight with a dremel. I’m assuming it would be a Kydex holster.

You could get one that accommodates the laser and then just cut an opening for the sight with a dremel. I’m assuming it would be a Kydex holster.

+1.

When companies do a “red dot sight cut” on their kydex holsters this is essentially what they do, they remove some material. You could do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the tools to do the cutting and that may be what I will do. I am also contemplating dropping the laser. I have had the laser on it since 2013 and it has served me well. I used to be an iron sight advocate but I lost the sight in my right eye and my left eye is a little slack. Although I can still use the irons with my left eye the laser helped in a pinch. I am hoping the reflex will also help. I am waiting for a mounting plate for it.

Although I can still use the irons with my left eye the laser helped in a pinch. I am hoping the reflex will also help. I am waiting for a mounting plate for it.

I was thinking of asking why you had both, it does seem like a bit of an odd combination. Makes a lot more sense now.

I have just about talked myself into removing the laser. At least for now. That way I can use the reflex sight a while and see if it is a viable stand alone alternative which I think it will be. I have not tried a reflex sight on a handgun. I have one on my shotgun and one for my rifle. I am right hand dominate and left eye dominant now. Handguns are easier to shoot for me than long guns in that situation. I ended up installing the reflex sights on my shotgun and rifle at an offset on the left hand side. Looks odd for sure but it puts the optic right in front of my left eye. It works well for me. If that did not work I was going to try to learn to shoot left handed. Much better than giving up shooting all together which at one point I though I would have to do. Firearms have been a part of my life since I was a youngster so that would have been a bummer. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Back