Refinishing

Bullshooter

I have had a S&W Model 19 2.5" nickel plated revolver for about thirty years. Over the years it has obviously been subjected to all sorts of abuse, resulting in spots, stains and minor scrathes on the finish. I am extremely fond of this particular piece and I wish to get it refinished. I've read quite a bit and lurked in various forums and web sites gleaning bits of information. I've just about settled on the "E"lectroless Nickel finish offered by Accurate Plating in Florida. I would appreciate any comments, positive or negative, about this particular finish and the customer service from Accurate Plating. I appreciate your help.

Price:

First of all, your price is going to be steep. They have to strip the old plating off before replating the gun. There are other finishes out there, but if you are settled on simply 'restoring' the look of the old gun, then nickel is the way to go. Personally, I'd choose hard-chrome which I believe requires a nickel base. It will wear a bit longer if properly applied and I think it looks less yellow. My opinion.

Why not send it back to Smith and have it renickeled? I sent them a ratty old blue M-57 last year and had them redo it in nickel. It is downright pretty. They were only a few dollars more than the other refinishers.

Bob Cogan of AP&W (who has 'smithed and finished guns for me) does superior work.

AP&W, perfect for fine finishing.

Thanks for the suggestion Max. I just called S/W about an old 37 Airwieght and they said they would retime it and refinish it to a matte blue and re-anodyze (spl?) the frame for $166 total. Not bad at all.

Back