refinishing my 1917 eddystone stock...did i mess up?

p64imp

Inactive
Hi all, first post on this forum. Looking for some general refinishing advice. I picked up a eddystone 1917 and the stock came exretremely dry. I got some natural toms 1/3 mix to which I have already applied 2 coats. I'm now seeing that 20 or so coats of blo is recommended to do before applying toms. Did I just put the cart before the horse? What should I do at this point for the best finish? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

I'm now seeing that 20 or so coats of blo is recommended to do before applying toms. Did I just put the cart before the horse? What should I do at this point for the best finish?

First of all, it's your rifle - apply whatever finish you like. Tom's is fine, but it's not "historically accurate" if that matters. There are posts-a-plenty regarding boiled vs raw vs additives and how to apply and to what year etc.

But it's really up to you. You haven't ruined anything. Strip it off and start again if you want.

It's not that I don't like the finish, but I just wasn't sure that if I had started with blo before applying toms if it would have a more polished finish.

Back