Refinishing Airweight

woodit

I have a S&W Model 37. It has not been fired much but was worn by an LEO for 20 or 30 years, and all the unholstering and reholstering have done a number on the finish.

How do I best clean and refinish the nicks, scrapes, and dings? It is part steel and part aluminum alloy.

Thanks.

You could dismantle the gun completely remove the nicks and scratches with a file and sandpaper. After this to remove the remaining finish you could have the whole gun bead blasted, or use a chemical stripper. You'll probably want to check on the bead blasting bit a little more carefully, as I don't have any experience blasting aluminum, i'd think it would be OK though, especially if you stick to fine size beads and don't get carried away. Than you could apply one of Brownells spray/bake finishes. This would make it look decent enough and would be excellent for concealed carry use.

Woodit, while you could finish it the way that Alex said I don't really recommend the bake-on finishes for revolvers. The first thing that happens is you get a nice shiny ring around the cylinder. The best way to refinish is to have the frame anodized and the bbl and cyl either reblued or black chromed. George

Back