reducing pull trigger

captneil19

I have a ruger 7.5 in.45 colt single six with transfer bar.i am thinking about having the trigger trimmed or what ever they do to get it to about 3 lbs..Reason being, factory setting is really hard and single handed shooting I loose time.For instance if I am shooting at an armadillo running in my yard by the time I get him in my sight an pull the trigger I need to start over.Where as if I come up got sight picture squeeze bam,wouldn't have hard trigger pull an loose target.Am I making sense? By doing this would I ruin the pistol ? I haven't a clue as to what they have to do to accomplish this.

The cheap way is to replace the springs. Weaker trigger and main springs, lighter trigger pull. If the pull is rough and creepy, it will still be rough and creepy.
http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228#419

I'm sure there is a youtube video to show you how to change them out.

A real gunsmith can smooth and adjust the actual working surfaces of the hammer and trigger to get a light crisp trigger pull.
You just have to get somebody who won't change the springs and charge you for the metal work.

An even cheaper way is to dry fire it about a bazzilion times.

Two things will occur, one, your trigger finger muscle tone will increase, and the trigger will magically seem to "wear in".

I tried that once, on the recommendation of a different company's chief armorer.
I got the finger exercise, all right, but there was no discernible difference in the trigger pull.

Back when I "thumb cocked" things, I always found DA triggers to be heavy and hard to shoot.

Once I started shooting DAO, the heavy and hard to shoot went away. So did my trigger phobia. I also found my shooting over all improved, and with everything I shot.

I know there are a ton of aftermarket "improvements" for pretty much everything, and triggers are a big part of that market, but I personally think that in 99% of the cases, youre better off leaving things alone and working on the one true "weak link".

I have NEVER replaced or altered springs on a Ruger SA .With proper trigger work it isn't necessary .I get a nice clean light pull .If you can't do it find someone who can .:)

A 3-pound trigger isn't going to make any real difference in your armadillo shooting.
Denis

Practice cocking the trigger with the weak hand so you never loose you strong hand grip' Try changing just the main spring . It will drop the trigger weight . Then its a matter of shooting. You could try contacting rugers CS and tell them the trigger is very ' Course and gritty" and expected a smoother trigger . Most time they will send you a shipping label and do a bit of trigger work for you.

reducing trigger pull

I listened to what you fellows had to say,and thought about it.I called Ruger,and talked to their tech service.The tech Andy told me not to change anything on my single six,that the factory settings for the trigger pull was between 3 1/2 to 5 lbs.He also told me that Ruger would not do any work except replacing Ruger parts,no fancy stuff.He also told me if I wasn't happy with the hammer, trigger,springs there is a company that sell all kinds of aftermarket parts that's fits Ruger.The name of the place is Wolfe,but advises me not to change any of the above,because it might not fire the round.Just thought I would pass this along to you guys.

Wolff doesn't sell "all kinds" of aftermarket parts, just springs.

The factory will pretty much always tell you not to alter anything, it's a cautionary liability issue from their viewpoint.

Lightening a trigger pull can be done by using lighter springs (Wolff), by honing contact surfaces on moving parts (sear, hammer, etc.), and by altering the hammer/sear engagement angles.

Many people try the cheaper spring swap route, which CAN lighten the pull, but can also leave the hammer with reduced energy, leading to reduced ignition reliability.

Any competent gunsmith can do a quick trigger job for less than $100.
Where I am, it'd be about $50.

30 years ago I did some honing on my Single-Six, smoothed it up fractionally.
Dunno what weight the pull is, never gauged it, but it's fine for what I want that gun to do.

I don't mess with springs, rather have a reliable 5-pound trigger than an unreliable 3-pound pull.
Denis

I would not reduce the mainspring due to light-strike potential,
but I'm suprised not to hear the suggestion of unhooking one
of the two "arms" on the trigger return spring.

There is always a better way !!!

I'm sure there is a youtube video to show you how to change them out.
As a matter of fact, there are a number of videos in YouTube. If you are halfway handy, you can do the work, yourself. I just ordered two kits myself a $12.99 each. I've done these before and the work goes fairly smooth. Going back together, just takes a little work on alignment and patience. ... ;)
I'm suprised not to hear the suggestion of unhooking one
of the two "arms" on the trigger return spring
Yes, that is probably the fastest and cheapest way of getting a "change" and no ill effects on the handgun. Just me but the spring kits are the better way. .. :)

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

If you do have a 3 1/2 to 5 lb trigger shooting a 500 to 1000 rounds thru it will go a long way to improving your smoothness with the trigger. Buy some snap caps for 38/357 and practice while sitting around also take some brass , drill out the center of the primer pocket with an 1/8th inch bit and a affordable primer like from lee - http://leeprecision.com/priming-tools/hand-priming-tool/

You can load primers and set rubber bullets in the brass and shoot in a garage /basement or out side. Sounds like a big pop gun.
X Ring rubber bullets - http://emptormaven.com/2011/03/x-ring-rubber-pistol-bullets/

Probably get them both from midway usa

You have to be careful how you talk to a CS rep . There are ways to get handguns improved and ways that they pick up in whats happen and blow you off. Now find some one around you with a trigger gauge and check your trigger.
Now make shooting fun not work . Stop thinking about it . As a newbe you are its easy to over thing everything .

If there were an ad, it would look like this:

Reducing trigger pull - DESTROYING GUNS SINCE THE 14TH CENTURY!

Jim

What the heck is he talking about. Maybe had had one butchered. I have used light tuned triggers since 1976. Still own everyone of those firearms.

I had a friend who was heavily involved in the CAS scene, and he did a bunch of trigger jobs on Blackhawks.

The proper way of doing a trigger job doesn't involve altering the trigger return spring or mainspring (though you can and take things further..). Those springs can be left stock and an excellent trigger can still be achieved.

The right way of doing trigger work involved altering the angle of engagement so that it is less 'captive" than stock. The one example that I've shot has a 2# trigger with stock springs, and it 100% reliable.

The gentleman who did that work made his own jig, and used a very, very high quality file to recut the hammer's hook.

Back