Redo barrel on Mosin.

Nick9130White

How would I prep the barrel, receiver, trigger, and magazine to repaint it?
And what kind of paint should I use? Any tips?

Thank you,
Nick

Blue it? Is it really blue? Or is it a chemical in it? Cause if heard of people doing thAt. But blue isn't really a gun color, seems like a toy gun color.

NIck

Its a Chemical Oxidation process, that is acutally a controlled form of corrosion.
Its not really blue, its more of a black..

Not Blue like Blue Spray Paint, Im refering to Blueing , with some Birchwood Casey Gun Blue.

Nick,
After you sand off the paint, polish it with some fine steel wool, before you blue it. Get it as smooth as possible, It will make a slicker nicer look once you have blued it.
Read the instructions on your bluing. I bet it would turn out nice.

Yes, tape that up, you dont want anything getting inside to the springs and internal parts.
And remove the bolt it would look better unpainted.
With the bolt you can polish it with steel wool until its bright and it will look good when you get the other metal finished.

Had to break out the Mosin, to see what your talking about.
ary you talking about the Magazine Well with the Trigger Guard asembly?
I would leave that in place, especially if your painting, If I were blueing it, Id take it apart.
Paint might make it hard to get back together.

I'll post some when I'm done with it.

I sanded the barrel down to metal, but I noticed that the barrel is kind of ribbed, not smooth, is it suppose to be like that? And will that show through?

That's the "normal" condition for wartime MNs - the Russians were in the process of producing as many rifles as quickly as possible to push the Germans back - they weren't making show pieces.

Back