Redhawk into a snubbie for a big guy?

togadelic

Inactive
Ok. I am new here. I've read all the posts under the rifle and the revolver forums that interested me. The one about big bore snubbies is exactly what I am looking for in a handgun. I am a rather large person at 6'5" and 340 or so. I have a stainless 5 1/2" redhawk in 44 mag. I want to get a super redhawk in 454 to go hunting with and scope, so I was thinking about cutting down the barrel on my redhawk. How much would this cost? and what other mod's should I think about making with it once it is in the smith's shop? I want to have it as a glove box, nightstand type gun.

Check out Bowen's web site http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/
He has a standard package called the "Alpine" based on ruger DA large frames that is similar to S&W's Mt gun concept.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/ruger22.html
No. RD02 ‘Alpine’ A handy companion for
fishermen and hunters who require a simple,
no-nonsense gun that is tough enough to handle
heavy hunting loads that discourage bears and other
pests. Available in any standard Redhawk caliber.
Modifications include: action/trigger tune with
hammer nose refitted for maximum firing pin
protrusion, barrel cut to 4 inches, round-butt
grip-frame and reshaped factory grip, bevel cylinder
in the Colt black powder style.

I've been using a Ruger Redhawk w/6 1/2" barrel for deer hunting for the last 10 years and I've had GREAT success with it. I topped it off with a 2 to 6 variable scope. I use my own reloads that consist of 180gr. Sierra JHP with 28 gr. of H-110 powder. I get about 1650 fps and that gives me something thats pleasant to shoot and it has plenty of knockdown power. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing on your Ruger.

Although I don't have any trouble with my 5.5" Redhawks, if you're going to have them 'smithed HIGHLY recommend Bowen. Worth the wait and money.

One consideration. If you plan this as a CCW gun, and have any intention of using an in the waistband style holster, do NOT trim that barrel too much. With the size and weight of the frame and cylinder you need some barrel down inside to hold things down and keep it from "rolling" out at the belt. I am currently using a five inch N frame for a carry gun with an IWB holster and a reinforced belt (both from AKJ Concealco). Works great for a winter carry gun. I did replace the standard grips with Eagle Secret Service grips to reduce the "print". With either a heavy banded bottom shirt or a sweater it works great. And I'm just a "little" guy, only 6' and 270#! :rolleyes:

Barry Mowry, the founder of Inovative Weaponry the maker of P-T night sights, use to do Redhawk conversions when they first came out nearly 20 years ago. He lived in Albuquerque, N.M. and would travel to the Tulsa gun show. I imagine that there are many of his revolvers in the Tulsa area. He would bob the barrel back to the front of the ejector rod housing, put a nice action job on it, radius, smooth, and narrow the trigger, bobbing the hammer was an option, round butt the grip, bead blast the entire gun to a frosted finish, then put a high mirror like polish on the hammer, trigger, and the flute of the cylinder. He would also jewel the hammer and trigger as an option. Beautiful pistols.

Back