RedHawk Durability

Edward429451

Okay, I got lymans 300 gr gascheck mould, .44, sized and gascheck they fall out at 320gr. with wheelweights. sitting on top of 18.0 of alliant 2400 they're moving out at a tested 1401 fps (10 shot average). No high pressure signs, cases liteally fall out of the chambers.
My question is, how much of a steady diet of these can I feed my 7.5" RedHawk and 7.5" NMSB without "abusing" the guns? CAN I make it my standard load for my .44's or should I back off on the load, reserving these hottest ones for occasional use?

i think maybe the ? is how many can you stand.i have 3 redhawks they are tuff.i read where ruger said the redhawks would handel the 454 pressure but not the proof loads the proof loads are 125% over the factory loads.then i ask myself is that over the old pressure of 43500 or the new of 36000 either way its a hot load.dont take my word for it .go to http://www.sixgunner.com i think thats the page dont no how to send the url through tfl.the page is where bowen makes the custom rugers i think i misspelled his name.he make the big guns and uses a redhawk frame.the 500 linbaugh.check out his pages they are great.

like i said they will the regular loads but not the proof loads they had to change because they wont sell it unless it will handle the proof loads.

So was the steel changed in the blue RedHawks too or just in the stainless ones? I've always heard that the RedHawks were super tough. I've no clue what the chamber pressure is in these 320 gr. loads moving out at 1400 fps is. Did I read you right, the proof loads are 125% OVER the factory loads, meaning more than twice as hot, or just 25% more. Sure sounds like you meant more than double charged.

the new steel is used only in the ruger 454 and the 480.i do love the color i hope it will be used in the redhawks someday soon.

If you saw the rest of the Design News article (the part that wasn't on the net but rather in print), there was a table that showed the yield of the 44mag SuperRedhawk cylinder in the 112ksi+ range offhand.

A good std load for this gun is a lead 300gr behind 21.5gr H110 (around 1450ish). As usual, this you have to work up to this level because all guns show signs at different pressures....

(BTW, I thought proof loads were 40% over SAAMI)

-CAL

they may be 40% but as best as i can rember it was 25% but then it may depend on who is giving the results.always check more than one source.when reloading i never take just the word of one person i check many sources.its my head that will be blown off if something goes wrong.as you all know if you have a max load then run out of powder the next batch might be hotter.what if your out of primers at the same time and bullets.lets say the bullet is just a bit oversized like the speer if i rember right is .430 for the 44 but the nosler is .4295 ,or at least it use to be that.the primer is just a bit hotter and the cases have just a little bit less case volume.well you know it spells trouble.i dont wont to sound like nobodys mother cause i push it to the limit myself.just be careful and make your buddy stand behind you when it goes off.

My 44 Redhawk bent with JUST ONE round! (Yes, I know it was a 300g'er at 1800fps, but I thought these things were tough.)

The Redhawk can take a fair amount of serious ammo before requiring a tune-up.....

weshoot2 you as crazy as i am

i have a coonan 357 well after about 4000 hot loads the barrel cracked i was getting 125 grains at 1775 .when they fixed it the new barrel would not handle the load it would blow the primers not all the time.when it did not blow them they looked normal.so i backed the load down some and then put a rifle primer in and worked the load back up .crazy and STUPID but i got it back up to 1775 again.now that i think back on it i dont know if im still that crazy or not.MAYBE I AM. I STILL GO RAPPELLING BY MYSELF LOL.

Actually, it's a 5.5"

Crane bent, and cylinder bolt was replaced.

Have the case; very different looking (like paint on a nude).

Darwin was right, but I think he was a pu$$y.

All my initial "stupid" testing starts in a Redhawk (have 357, 41, 44, and 45).

my coonan never cracked the barrel with the hot load. the factory said it had a flaw.i did back the load down after that.the new barrel only has about 200 rounds through it.coonan went under and now i dont shoot it .wish somebody would but the design because now i can even mind a mag for it .

Back