Redhawk Durability

bullfrog99

Has anyone here ever seen a shot out ruger redhawk? I saw one in a rental range that the owner has swarn to have fired twelve thousand 44 magnums and it looked almost new, except for a few scratches. Do they ever die?

I have an artical in a older Shooting Times Magazine where the author shot 10,000 rounds of full power 240gr. JHP ammo through a Redhawk(in a short amount of time) and it was still going without any problems. I think that is a very good test of durability and shows the Redhawk will last.

Some advice ... or ... "How I Broke My Redhawk"

Don't dry fire one without snap caps in it.

I took the advice of various handgun magazines (and I think even my Ruger manual) and dry-fired my Redhawk and Blackhawk prodigiously with nothing in them.

Both broke.
In fact, they broke in the same place - the little bar that you see sliding up as the hammer falls (so as to transfer the hammer's inertia to the floating firing pin) broke on both guns. Once I saw how flimsy this part looked - it looks like a 30 cent casting - I stopped dry-firing my guns altogether.

BTW, just bought a .45 Redhawk with rings, so obviously I still like a Redhawk - in fact it's my favorite gun right now.

As far as firing durability, I put maybe 500 to 1000 rounds through my .44 Redhawk and the timing was still as good as when I bought it.

Back