Redhawk .45Colt/.45ACP

Do not have one, read alot about them, they sound like a great combo of ammo. Not aware of ruger ever putting locks on their revolvers.

I've had two here.
ACP accuracy greatly variable.
None of Ruger's steel DA revolvers have had internal locks.
Denis

If you want a .45 DA/SA revolver that can practically shoot any .45 cartridge except the .454 Casull, it's worth it.

If you want the .45 ACP to be super accurate shooting out to 25 to 50 yards, look for a .45 ACP revolver or the Ruger Blackhawk.

I think this Redhawk has so many niche novelties going for it, the Colt/ACP ability, the fact that there are very few .45 Colt's that are double action and have a swing out cylinder, the ability to shoot Ruger only .45 Colt, etc. that it's got a lot going for it to make it worth getting.

The Ruger Redhawk is a beast.

I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and have shot Buffalo Bore loads that feel like an electric shock when you light them off. My business handloads are slightly above Hodgdon book loads at about 32K psi with 335gr bullets.

In the October 2014 issue of HANDLOADER magazine Brian Pearce wrote an article on the strength of the .45 Colt Redhawk. In it he stated that the Redhawk will handle 45k to 50k psi load without problems. That's up in .454 Casull territory. It is built with a 100% safety margin. Proof loads were in the high 80k psi range and if IIRC, 92k psi was quoted.

He provided data for several heavy loads that were well above any book load using bullets up to 390grs. I was particularly interested in the 360 gr loads that were pushed up to 335gr velocities. The popular powders used were H-110/W-296, ACC No. 9, Alliant Power Pro 300-MP and a couple others I don't remember right off hand.

Look up the issue, because there is also a letter he answers for a reader that provides data for the Blackhawk in .45 Colt too.

I like my Redhawks ... I have both 45 LC and in .44 mag both are great guns but I may favor the .44 mag .
But if you get the 454 in superredhwk you can shoot 45 LC , depends on your needs .

I bought a 45Colt Red Hawk Hunter many years ago and it is a pleasure to shoot. I did swap out the grips and it is a smooth shooter that takes all you can dish out and ask for more. The only problem you may have with the new model it when swapping back and forth between 45acp and 45Colt, depending on the bullet weight and charge it may change your point of impact so keep this in mind.
I have a S&W 625MG that I had cut for moon clips and can shoot 45acp & 45Colt and it shoots close with out having to adjust the sight but I'm not running hot loads in it either.

Back