Redfield 3200 & Lyman Target scopes

wileybelch

The Redfield 3200 and the Lyman Target scopes have been out of production for decades. Were these scopes usable in hi-power/center fire rifles, or were they intended for smallbore competition rifles? Since there isn't a forum dedicated to sights (iron or glass), I posted this query here.
Secondly, were they intended to be nitrogen purged? There are different magnification ocular lenses floating around for these scopes indicating the shooter would change magnification to suit the use?
If usable for hi-power, would they be reasonable choices for F-class competition?
PS: Just interested in putting some old equipment back into service.

they were used in small bore and large bore and extra eye pieces would increase or decrease scope power. i used the redfield 3200 and the 6400, good solid gas filled scopes that had good clicks and mounts that fit weaver style bases and mounts that fit redfield,lyman or unertl target bases, lyman-unertl, good some what fragil non gas filled scopes that depended of the spacing of the mounts for click values. in the late 60,s and early 70,s they were the in scopes. but todays scopes are so much better and you don,t see many of the old scopes on the line anymore. i own and use a few lyman and unertl target scopes and they work fine for what i want them for .hope this helps a little, eastbank.

I have a Remington 24X target scope I believe is filled.

I have no idea how old it is, I bought it used in the '70s. I think it was designed for 22s. It didn't work out well when I put it on a center fire target rifle. Couldn't keep it from wacking me. So I just left it on my H&R 5200.

The older Weaver T series are dern good target scopes. I got one of the older ones and use it on my Model 70 300 Win 1000 yard rifle. I'm sure its filled. I've shot matches in some pretty nasty weather and it never fogged.

I don't believe the older WWII scopes used on the M1903A4s are filled. Lyman or Weavers.

Back