Red or green dot optics

Joe-ker

I’m planning on getting another optic, would like to try a green dot this time. Are they worth the little bit extra coin?

Some say they are easier for your eyes in the lighter environments?

I have a sight that does red and green. Red all the way. Red is a lot better in low light. Green is just too bright. Red (depending on the optic) works reasonably well in bright light. Green is better in bright light, but not by a huge amount in my opinion.

If you want to try it, try it. But IMHO red is a much better all around dot color.

RED; Again

Are they worth the little bit extra coin?
Reading between the lines, if it's a choice and either or, I too would stay with the RED. On illuminated optics, I have never seen, just green. Usually being able to switch from one to another. Lately there are other colors coming into play but that is not what you are asking. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

I have a prism scope that has red and green( black dot without power) I haven't decided if green is useful or not.

I have both a red-dot and a reflex that do both red and green, and I am glad they do - red is not always easier to see depending on conditions and the target. I would, however, choose red if one color was the only option.

I like both but I prefer green, especially in daylight. The decision on which color is best does seem rather subjective though. The more important factor to me is where the activation button is located. I like being able to activate it with my middle finger when it comes to handguns.

vortex

Despite my preference for a low power variable on AR pattern rifles, I bought a Vortex Strikefire II red/green and plunked it on my carbine recently. Price was very reasonable. Comparing the two views, green takes some getting used to if all one has worked with has been the traditional red dot. As intensity can be adjusted, at present, I don't see an advantage, one over the other, other than my brain is used to red.

Could the green dot be preferred if used with nightvision?

Last trip to the Eye Doc, they did a complete test for everything. Including colors. For my particular eyes, Red was the winner. And the test seemed to focus (no pun intended) on Red and Green. It depends on the individual.

I'm pretty sure red gives better battery life. OOPS!! I meant for laser,.

I might prefer my dot red and my laser green.though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I have a reflex with both and I too can’t really see much of a benefit over red. I really like my holosun in red and thought maybe I’d try a green but looks like I may as well save a little money and get another red one.

SWAG-Test

Thanks for all the replies. I have a reflex with both and I too can’t really see much of a benefit over red.
A couple of years back, I did an un-scientific experiment with a scope like yours. This was done, in a darkened room and I adjusted the Red down until I could barely see it and then noted the setting. I did the same with the green and the green disappeared sooner than the red. I did the same test with a fiber optic "Light-Pipe", open sights. Started out with a lit room and slowly dimmed the lights. The "Red" lasted the longest. You make the measure ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Back