Red dot recommendation.

bungiex88

Have a ruger superblackhawk hunter 44. I put a scope on it this year but ended up not liking it. I want to put a red dot on it. Any recommendations I’ll be using it for white tail deer no more then 100 yards. I’m wanting something that has big glass for ease of getting on target. Need to be good quality and good brand.

Go with either a 30mm UltraDot or a 30mm MatchDot II. The UltraDot is a little cheaper, but only has a 4 MOA Dot. The MatchDot II has 4 Dot sizes. The two important ones will be 2 MOA and 4 MOA. The 2 MOA works well when in dim light. The darker it is, the more Bloom the Dot will have. At closing time you will be dialed down to 1 on the Rheostat, and 2 MOA if you have it. The MatchDot II will also have an Elevation Turret that allows you to dial in for longer shots.
I have the 30mm UltraDot on my 480 Super RedHawk. My last 2 have been 30mm MatchDot II sights. One on a 357 Maximum Contender, and the other on a 357 Maximum CVA Scout Pistol.
The UltraDot and MatchDot sights are made in Japan.
They have a reputation among those over on the Handgun Hunter Magazine Forum of not breaking.
Heather who owns UltraDotWest will take care of you.

Bob R

The Matchdot is what I put on my S&W 460. I like the option for MOA size, though I personally have mine set for 4 MOA. It’s larger than other red dots, but it has a lot more capabilities.

Plus, they have a lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've had at least a dozen and a half red dot "tin can" sights over the years and the Ultra Dot is the best. Not only does it have a lifetime guarantee, it will actually hold up to the 44mag for the long run (I had one on a 44mag and it worked great). I've pretty much gone over to reflex type sights, but they are a bit harder to adapt to, but not by much. A 4moa dot will be fine at 100 yards.

I'm willing to spend up to and around $600 on a sight though

If I were going to go into combat, I'd choose the most expensive dot sight money could buy. When I was traveling around the country and entering expensive entry bigger shoots I used mid-priced sights like the Venom, Burris, and C-more. I never had one fail and I won a lot of shoots. I DID NOT buy the cheap stuff you could get for fifty or sixty bucks. I saw a lot of them fail when it counted. I've seen people pay over six hundred bucks to enter a shoot and have cheap sights fail, reloaded shotgun shells jam in their guns, etc. I've seen people pay a thousand bucks for a rimfire rifle and use $.99 cent a box ammo. Somewhere you have to draw a line. Don't go cheap, but you don't need to spend more to get nothing more. I've seen the best shooters in the world compete and they weren't using six hundred dollar red dots....just saying. I had a Burris FF3 on a 45-70 Win 1886 for a while and it could shoot five shot groups that would average 1.7" at 114 yards and the sight never failed. If you can afford it though, nothing wrong with getting a high end sight. I've never seen one that was junk at that price.

I have the basic entry level Ultradot on my Smith 686 357 and will be testing it out once things warm up. Also have the same on a Smith Model 41 target 22 - very nice red dot.

Best thing about the ultra dots is they are a high quality dot for low money. I have easily a couple thousand rounds down the barrel of my 44 SRH and my ultra dot is still as good as new.and I only shoot full tilt rounds out of it.

I've used / owned a slew of Ulradots .They hold up well & are relatively inexpensive . The newer ones seem to make targets look smaller than what you see with your eyes alone . The Sightron S30 & S33's are also good w/o the negative magnification . If you don't mind the price Aimpoint are excellent & extremely tough .

Yea if I don’t have to spend that much on an optic I won’t go 600 but I was just stating it so people didn’t think I wanted recommendations for $100 or less sights. I kinda like the triigicon mro red dot. I might look into the ultra dots I’ve actually never heard of them till this thread. I really like vortex stuff but most there sights seem small. I have the vortex sparc on my ar that I really like but don’t think it will work out to well on the ruger Blackhawk just because the objective seems small and while on a handgun it will be further away from my face. That triigicon mro look pretty big objective on it. I just want to make sure I put a quality sight on it so I don’t have to worry about loosing zero.

Take a look at Millet Red Dots.
I bought a Ruger MKII with a Millet SP-1 mounted on it. after 18 years of use, I bought a second for a 38 special Bullseye Target revolver. After that I bought a third SP-1 and mounted it on a Ruger 10/22 , more fun , easier and faster to hit with at under 50 yards .

The SP-1 has a one inch tube , 3 mil. dot, on/off and 10 brightness settings... They don't cost a lot ($60.00 usually) and are rugged and long lasting. 18 years on the first and it's going strong.
Gary

kMw5ZSz.jpg

I like the C-More. You can get any sized dot from 3 - 16 minute. For hunting I'd go with a 3 minute.

Cost is about $ 240.00 direct from C-More.

They are very rugged and it's the most popular Red Dot sight for USPSA and other types of shooting.

If you are considering the vortex strikefire, and you are prepared to spend money to get quality, then I recommend considering the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO). I will admit, that I have not seen the PRO mounted on a pistol, so it might take some thought about how to mount it. But when people tell me they want a midrange sight for a rifle, I usually recommend that they consider an upgrade to the Aimpoint PRO.

The Aimpoint PRO is an entry level option from Aimpoint, but it is still a real Aimpoint. The price at about $450 is a bit steep, but in my opinion, it is a first quality piece of hardware. The glass quality, ruggedness, and battery life are better than the lower priced sights that I have tried. Personally, I would be comfortable with a mid-range sight like the vortex for sporting or recreational purposes. But if my life depended on the hardware, I would require top quality like an Aimpoint. So in this case, you don't need an Aimpoint, but you might still want one.

I will also mention that I like the balance of an Aimpoint Micro like the H1 on a big pistol, but it sounds like you prefer something bigger. The bigger sights do offer a larger viewing area, but I have shot a lot with an H1, and I don't find it holds me back. I would also recommend a 2 MOA dot if you want to go out to 100 yards. Past 50 yards, I find the 4 MOA dot usable, but smaller would be better.

I would really love a aimpoint or triigicon but I have a vortex sparc on my ar and I love the quality plus it’s lifetime warrantied. I was thinking maybe if I don’t like the strikefire I’d upgrade to a aimpoint

Back