red dot optics

jrfoxx

I will admit i'm not very knowledgeable about optics, so i hope someone here can help me out with thier experiance (also hope this is the prper place for the post, wasnt sure if here or in the rifle section, or even gear and accessories).
I looking to get a "tactical' style scope for a 'defenseive' rifle and have decided on an electronic red dot, for speed and ease of target acquisition, but dont kbow wich would be beter, the 'panoramic' style which looks like a thin, flat 'screen' type or the red dots that look more like the 'typical' scope (only shorter). any recommendations on which is generally better, more accurate, faster etc, or is it more a matter of preferance?
Thanks in advance.

my personal opinion is that of all the red-dot choices, the manufacturers that should be considered are (in no particular order) eotech, trijicon, aimpoint.

i have seen a few of the low end optics that look very futuristic but they have such a flimsy feel to them that i would not trust them. i forget some of the names of the models, but its usually the small one without any real cover to guard the unit.

although i havent handled an aimpoint, i gotta figure that if its good enough for our soldiers to use, its gonna be more than adequate for a defensive rifle.

what i will say about the eotech is that its a great cqb optic, and is very easy to use. i'm not convinced its reticle will allow for great long distance accuracy, but you'll probably be co-witnessing the iron sights for anything past 100 yards, right?

trijicon products are excellent. dont want to fumble with batteries or control switches? the reflex uses a fiberoptic lamp that absorbs ambient light to illuminate the reticle. so do the acogs, but the acogs do have slight magnification, up to 4x i believe. there is also a good variety of reticle choices and its available in amber or red.
the tri-power is the most 'ninja' of all as its a long eye relief, unmagnified, has several power sources (fiberoptic coil, batteries, tritium, and cyalume). but hold off buying one until the new model is released later this year (maybe beginning of 2006?).
and most trijicon optics have the option of the chevron or triangle reticle that makes sub-moa groups easily attainable.

Trijicon is the way to go IF you can afford one. I don't have any experience with Aimpoints either, but have heard very good things. I don't care for the reticle on the Eotecs...at all, but they seem to be good enough otherwise. A big consideration with any optic is how well it holds its zero...I can't offer too much advice on what's goo and what isn't though.

spacemanspiff made a good point that some people tend to not think about, if it's a defensive rifle, and your intending it to be used in close, aiming devices with magnification can slow down your acquisition while your eyes adjust from your normal F.O.V. to an enhanced F.O.V.
A sight with no or very little magnification is preferred in close.

I purchased an Aimpoint ML3 Red Dot sight. It rocks. I have it mounted on the carrying handle of my Oly. They are easy to zero. It's Just like zeroing the iron sight of a M16 rifle. The sight comes with all the necessary directions to help you sight it in. All you need is a flat tip screw driver a pen and paper and some patients.

Back