Red Dot on a Blackhawk Hunter?

Shooter 973

I'm thinking of getting a Blackhawk Hunter and then putting a Red dot sight on it. Will a 44 Mag beat a Red dot sight useless or not? My son has a red dot on his 22/45 and it makes tagret aquisition very easy and fast, but my experiance with this type of sight is very limited. Opinions please!!!! :confused: :confused: :D

Shooter - I used a TC red dot on my Super Blackhawk for years without a problem. I used a B-Square mount on my gun and never had any issues with either the mount or the sight. I shot heavy 300 grain hunting loads during deer season and 240 XTP's the rest of the year. I also used this same sight on a T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters as well. Not the same model -- the same sight. I'm using the same sight on my Ruger Mark II now; it just keeps going and going....

millet

Have used a millet red dot on a t/c 44 mag for several years with good results.
A cheap simmons and a cheap adco I tried didn't hold up.

I've had a Tasco Propoint on my SSK SBH for a number of years without any problems. I did have a Millett on it before that and I did have a small problem with the springs bending that held the battery in place. Seemed that the recoil moved the battery against the springs and bent them just enough that it would start to go off and on. Not much but enough that I didn't feel comfortable with it while hunting.

Topstrap

Shooter973,
I think you will find Red Dot sights to be quite fun. One problem you may encounter is that the Ruger ring spacing may not allow the use of some of the Dot sights. The spacing is too close together for some sights. If you run into that we make a Weaver style mount that attaches to the Ruger ring cuts in the barrel. I know our web does not say Black Hawk Hunter yet but it will work on it no sweat. The following link has the mount listed, second mount down.
http://www.jackweigand.com/raswms.html
I have found the Tasco PDP-3 to be a very sturdy sight and can be purchased at a reasonable price. I hope this is of some help.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Back