red dot mount

ocharry

hi fellas...and gals

well i guess i am looking for the wisdom of the crowd on this ...so here goes

i have a first gen redhawk and a super blackhawk, no dovetails in the top strap and barrel, so what i want to do is put a red dot on one of them...dont really care which one, i guess if i had to really pick it would be the redhawk... but i like them both and shoot them equally well, just dont want to modify or permanently mess up the gun,,,my aging eyes just dont care much for the sights, lol, and i dont think i want a scope

i want to put a red dot on one of them and the only mount i can find is the weaver thing. i think it replaces the rear sight and then clamps onto the barrel, thus giving a rail i guess for the rings?? or in my case a red dot

so , does anybody else make a mount that would work on one of these 44's that dont make a permanent change?? or does the weaver mount work ok and is pretty solid for the recoil of the 44??

thanks guys for the input

ocharry

YES

so , does anybody else make a mount that would work on one of these 44's that dont make a permanent change?? or does the weaver mount work ok and is pretty solid for the recoil of the 44??
Yes and yes. I have used a number of the Weavers and there are other brands but not sure how current they are. If I recall, Redfield is one brand. I will check my stash and get you the info. I believe it was for a SBH. Cannot say that I had any problems with the Weavers but like you, not overly confident. If you go with the Weaver and you have a blued barrel. That front clap ring will mar the blue so you should provide some buffer/protection. .... :)

Will get back and;
Be Safe !!!

Found what I was looking for but not expecting

Well, In my search I found two Weavers and one indicates that it is for a Ruger SBH. The second one, I will have to do some homework to verify what it is. If you search on the internet, you will find a chart/listing of Weaver bases and their service. The one that is identified is marked #301. All these Weavers are stamped with a part number. Will confirm this one as well. Personally, I would have no reservations mounting these weavers on a SBH with front clamp protection The Front clamping ring is steel ..... :)

I also found two sets of Leupoles That I believe are for the Ruger SBH but they come with rings. Going to have to track these down as well.... :rolleyes:

One benefit of my searching, is that I found a RedDot that I have been looking for. ..... :D

Later and;
Be Safe !!!

Pahoo.....I think I have found what I'm looking for...the mount is made by a company by the name of Weigand. Looks like it mounts very similar to the weaver but it has about a 4" pic rail.....I think it will work for me great. Gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if they offer it for a redhawk, the one I looked at was for a SBH.........and that will work too

Thanks for getting back to me

I'm on the move and looking at reflex sights now...lol

Thanks again

Ocharry

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

I went with the no drill rail for my Redhawk...I think it will give me more options for a sight. Even though it is longer than I thought I wanted I like the way it mounts to the gun and if I want to I can put a scope on the gun

I may have to get the one they offer for my SBH too...not sure I like the idea of the brass set screws that clamp the front mount to the barrel, but it does look solid

They said 2 day FedEx so I'm hoping the Redhawk rail shows up Saturday and I will slip on the red dot I have and see if it will work out, if not I will be looking for some other sight

Ocharry

Back