Recrowning shotgun barrel

Romulus

I have an otherwise excellent barrel for my 870, but the crown is a bit monged up. Is there a crowning/facing tool for shotguns, like the ones Brownells sell for revolvers? If no, is this a lathe job or can it be done judiciously by hand? How can one guarantee a "true" crown, perpendicular to the bore?

Thanks...

The Brownell's facing/crowning tools come in shotgun sizes.

Having a true crown is somewhat less critical than on a rifle or pistol. A decent crown can be had by filing the muzzle "eye ball" true, then using some fine metal sanding cloth on the ball of the thumb, to remove the sharp edge. I wouldn't recommend using this method on a trap or skeet gun, but for a cut-it-down-yourself home defense barrel, it will do.

Where accuracy counts I'd go with a piloted cutter/crowner from Brownell's. I suppose the barrel could be put in a lath or even a milling machine, but that calls for some fancy setup, and can often mar the finish.

That would come to $35 for the facing tool, plus $10 for the pilot...a bit steep for just one barrel...How much would a smith charge for this service, any guesses?

Hi Romulus,

I dropped one of my rifles on the muzzle and put a nice ding in the crown. A gunsmith in my neck of the woods charged $55 to do the job. This included removing the barrel from the receiver and lathe setup.

Prices in your town my vary. Call around and ask for prices.

Maybe the thing to do is to have it fitted for choke tubes...that way I could slap on a rifled choke or pattern for the best tube...skeet, IC, etc...

How much to have it fitted for tubes, more or less?

Thanks

Hup,sorry,see you were reading my mind and typing as I was.Most 'smiths won't charge over $35-$50 for doing it. I charge $35.00.

Thank you JMB...what I'll do is zero in the sights for slugs first, see how it actually shoots. First things first, hey?

Back