Recrown a Garand

kjm

My Danish Garand has a pretty beat up muzzle with little pits all around. The bore is good, but the crown needs touching up. How hard is this to do, or should I just take it to the gunsmith and let him do it? How much improvement in accuracy will this get me? The rifle is already military accurate (groups within 3").

I wouldn't mess with it. The Garand has so many other parts moving around that a recrown will likely get lost. You might see a .25" improvement. That percentage of accuracy increase is a best case and comes at the cost of making your gun non-original and therefore lessenign the value. It's not a tack-driver and a gunsmith recrown will do more damage than good. If it works, don't fix it. My NTBHO.

If it's doing 3" I'd leave it be, what's to gain by recrowning? It's already shooting near match grade (I bet it's one of those Danish VAR barrels, them thangs shoot!). If you want to just lap the muzzle to smoth out the biggest garfs, go ahead, but IMO don't remove any serious metal. -- Kernel

Kernel,
You are correct. It is a VAR Barrel from sometime in the early 60's. There isn't any major stuff on the crown, just little pits around it. I'm really pleased with what I got from CMP. I was just wondering if touching up the crown would get me any significant accuracy gains (like an inch), if it won't then I'll be happy with what I've got. Thank's for the info, y'all saved me fifty bucks.

3" is better than the 1 1/2' (yes, one and a half foot) group that my DCM Garand was doing at 100 yards. I opted to replace the barrel rather than recrown it. BTW, my other DCM Garand (bought the same time) shot much better.

I really feel lucky with my Dane. It had a five digit serial (SA), and was in good shooting condition considering its manufacture in fall of 1940. The barrel (VAR) was in great shape (except those annoying pits at the end), and the wood although pretty beat-up, cleaned up nicely and the dents steamed right out. I'd order another Dane from them. Probably before I get my first Service Grade. I enjoy them for their shooting qualities, not their collector's value. If I end up with anything rare, then I feel that it is just a bonus.

Does anyone know of a good source for VAR barrels (new)? I'd like to stock up for when they become scarce!

BTW, my gunsmith says that 4" groups at 100 yards is perfectly acceptable for a military rifle with military ammo. I might try to work up some loads to bring my groups a little tighter.

Unless the nicks or dings are actually in the crown, that is they cut into the end of the rifling, crowning will not improve accuracy, though it might improve the appearance a bit. Nicks on the end of the muzzle are what the crown protects the rifling from.

I had a bit of a discussion with a fellow who did his own crowning with home tools and said it was successful. I still recommend a gunsmith unless you are willing to pay money for tools you will likely only use once.

Note that crowning is not the same thing as backboring to correct a worn muzzle. This is not recommended for an M1 since if it goes very deep it will lead to malfunctions.

Jim

Back