Recovered Firearm

RayVa

A friend was recently informed his .22 revolver stolen in 2007 from his home in Virginia was recovered during a police search in DC.

OK

I hope it comes back in some type of usable condition. Can you say whether it was determined stolen from NCIC entry, or from a owner inscribed ID.

A work pal had a S&W M27, in which he inscribed his name and AR DL number on the interior surface of the grip panel. My pal then legally sold that M27 to a one of his friends. It was then stolen from the second owner. A few years later, the original owner heard from an out of state PD that "his" revolver had been recovered. The PD had discovered the name and DL number in the grips. He directed the PD to his pal. When the gun was returned it was a wreck.

All of us should have good records with serial numbers to facilitate complete reports and NCIC entry if a weapon is stolen or lost. One might consider personal ID numbers such as a DL# etched discreetly as my friend did, or a note in a stock bolt hole, that sort of thing, as well.

Keeping records is good. putting your ID on ordinary guns is fine, but doing it to any actual collector grade guns will significantly reduce their market value.

No need to add any other info if you have the model and SN. If it is stolen and you provide that info LE can and will contact you if it is recovered.

I've had 2 stolen. One was recovered 6 years ago this month in the county south of here. I still don't have it back. The DA seems to think he needs it for the trial when they prosecute the drug dealers who had it when they were arrested.

Which reminds me, I need to call and check again on the status, it's been about 6 months. I can't believe no trial in 6 years. The contact person I speak to when I call says it is the defendants lawyers who keep stalling, not the DA.

I got a call 2 months ago from our local PD informing me the other was recovered in Baltimore. I was given a phone number, contact name and case number. I called twice and left messages. They never returned the calls. I'd have to drive to Baltimore to get a gun that I paid $220 for new. They can keep it.

A friend of mine had a couple stolen handguns turn up. I was surprised that the Portland police didn't destroy them. After a bunch of hassles, he got them back. Considering how many were stolen, it was a shallow victory...

Tony

I received notification from the NY PD that the Luger pistol listed in a report I was investigating was recovered there and would be shipped to the PD. Upon arrival I found the serial matched but the manufacturer and suffix letter was incorrect. When the victim observed the pistol he informed me it was not the one stolen, I suggested he take the bird in hand and relish in the fact that the collectible Luger did not get dumped in the Atlantic by NYPD.. he smiled, signed for HIS property and left with a plain brown paper bag with said pistol inside.

I received notification from the NY PD that the Luger pistol listed in a report I was investigating was recovered there and would be shipped to the PD. Upon arrival I found the serial matched but the manufacturer and suffix letter was incorrect. When the victim observed the pistol he informed me it was not the one stolen, I suggested he take the bird in hand and relish in the fact that the collectible Luger did not get dumped in the Atlantic by NYPD.. he smiled, signed for HIS property and left with a plain brown paper bag with said pistol inside.
You are too good for this world.:D

I had 15 stolen about 8 years ago. No word on any of them. The dude that stole them is doing 25 years on other charges.

I have had customers here in Ohio have guns stolen in break ins and have them turn up in days in Pawn shops in WVa within days. Others have shown up as far away as Texas some years later involved in crimes. It is general opinion that many break ins are by dopers and they use guns to trade for dope. The dope supply chain takes them back to main supply points usually in big cities where they are sold to the criminals and gangs.

I'm in the 4th month of almost getting back a rifle stolen in 2012. Long story still in progress.... I hope to have an interesting story soon.

Numbers not reported-Gets complicated fast

There is some concern here about numbers being reported by the police. This is not about paranoia but there is some evidence this is happening.

A local dealer had a burglary at his business. Apparently, there were some Class 3 items included. Later, an ATF agent called asking when the firearms had been recovered. No, looks like the numbers were never entered by the local police.

I had a G27 stolen from my car in a break in. The officer was astounded when I produced the serial number.

My local dealer will run numbers for us but we have to be present. Reason being TBI agent will be there to pick gun up. My dealer ran a long gun number for me. He added that in his experience people did not record long gun numbers. All this numbers business is another triumph hope of over experience.

Added: A friend had recently bought a Ruger revolver from a business that was a police supplier. The gun was transferred to a dealer in this state.
In Tennessee the number is run as part of the clearance. The gun turned up hot. It had been traded in by a local police department who had not dealt with :mad:the number in the big computer in the sky. :eek: Could it be that department never ran the number on the Ruger?

Last edited:
As soon as I purchase a gun I use my cell phone and take a pic of the gun and the serial number. Then when I get home I enter in the make, model, and sn into an inventory of every firearm I’ve ever owned. I’m very lucky that I’ve never had any stolen but I know too many people that have had firearms stolen.

Keeping a photo inventory of the exact firearms is very helpful to law enforcement in case of a theft. I know a few local shops here also keep the sn on record in their computer system so the buyer can return anytime and they can look it up for them.

Our #2 son had 4 guns stolen during a home burglary 5-6 years ago. A '73 vintage Ruger Single Six, a Smith 637, and a pair of 1911 Colts that he'd had redone by Novak...$1500 worth of gunsmithing and finish work on each. They were stolen two weeks after he'd picked them up at a local pawn shop that ran an FFL transfer service as well. We've always suspected that the 'word' got out to the local dirt-bag community about those two guns.

Fast forward 3 years and the Cincinnati police called to say they'd found one of them, a Series 70 Lt Wt Commander .45, during a drug raid in the city. The gun in question had been kept in a lock box, bedside, in the master bedroom and apparently the thieves had used a sledge to open the box.

Damage was extensive: The Novak rear sight was beaten literally, half way out of the dovetail, and the grip frame was hammered enought that removal of the mag was impossible. The stocks were broken and there was severe gouging and some rust on the slide, and frame.

It was a heart breaker and he considered sending it back to Novak, but they told him it was useless and to buy another. After some consideration, he decided to attempt to get it working again using "Bubba's" traditional methods as the gun's condition was beyond hope. In the end, he used a bench vise, padded liberally, then beat on the alloy grip frame enough to allow removal of the magazine. Then a steel rod to open it enough to allow easy mag changes.

The sight was tapped back in to place, then staked, and the stocks, chewed up by the sledge, were replaced with wood GI issue ones. As you can imagine, the finish was dinged and gouged in numerous places....hell, it looked like it'd been dragged behind a pickup for a quarter mile or so...but it shot as good as it did when he got it back from Novak...it's a sub-2" grouping Lt Wt Commander 1911, in fact...

And that's the way he carries it...dings and all; while it's certainly not a BBQ gun anymore...it sure has a story to tell when he's on the range....

The remainder of the guns have not turned up...

YMMv, Rod

I keep all my receipts and make sure the serial number is recorded on them, but you guys are convincing me to make a file containing all this information so it's available readily. I have no illusions of getting stolen property back, but I would like it on record that it was stolen if that helps an arrest down the road.

The gun in question had been kept in a lock box, bedside, in the master bedroom and apparently the thieves had used a sledge to open the box.

Damage was extensive: The Novak rear sight was beaten literally, half way out of the dovetail, and the grip frame was hammered enought that removal of the mag was impossible. The stocks were broken and there was severe gouging and some rust on the slide, and frame.
Sad story. :(

Do you think the gun was damaged by the thieves removing it from the lock box or later during its use?

Do you think the gun was damaged by the thieves removing it from the lock box or later during its use?
Police figured it was damaged trying to get the gun safe open....the kind that hold only one gun...they probably used a sledge and that resulted in the damage...it was unusable when returned and only my son's die-hard Bubba type gunsmithing put it back in service...Rod

Back