Recovered bullets

Newton24b

what is the best way to melt down bullets that have been recovered from dirt and logs, and hence have large amounts of dirt and wood imbedded in them?

Wash em, dry em, melt em, skim jackets etc. that floats to the surface.

Correct, EXCEPT the washing-drying bit. The lead doesn't have to be clean. Just be SURE it is dry! Best bet with recovered bullets is----start with a cold pot, then add the bullets and turn on the heat. Any hidden moisture with be turned to steam as they get hot. NEVER toss a handful of bullets into hot melted lead!:eek: You might get your body and everything around you lead plated!:barf: It's called a visit from the tinsel fairy!

All the above steps mentioned are correct. I do what you were asking and made a video ouot of it. I reclaim bullets from a clay mound at my local range. Here is teh video if you wanna watch what I did. The washing part I did to make myself feel better about it. It's true you can just shake off teh extra debris and just toss them in a cold pot. I didn't have any wood to deal with, just mud.

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1VnqbyQdxg

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NXLpvR154&feature=related

I mine bullets out of clay also, either concrete or baby poop depending on water content and while dirt floats, it doesn't if it isn't there, and by the time the lead starts to melt there aint no water. Not only that, cleanliness is next to godliness.

Dirt on reclaimed bullets isnt a whole lot differant then dirt off used wheel weights.

As mentioned all unwanted dirt, jackets, wheel weight clips float to the top and can be dipped out.

How every, before you start "dipping" flux the lead to mix up the additives you dont want "dipped" out.

ingots are best made outside if possible. Fill up the pot and fire it up, perferrably in the drive way or gravel, away from any combustable material and STAND BACK while the lead is being heated up, not only incase there is hidden moister, but I've seen dud rounds go off in a lead post.

Lots of times people will get a round, 22 or even reloads that didnt go off and they get tossed down range.

Nothing is more fun then having a round cook off in your lead pot.

Get it all set up, build the fire, then go set in the shade with a cup of coffee until the lead is totally ready to cast into ingots. Once its that hot, you dont have to worry about moisture or unfired rounds blowing hot lead all over the place.

Trust me, even a 22 round going off in a lead pot will teach you to dance.

Back