Recover 1911 Grip & Rail system. Quick look

I ran across these the other day while surfing the World Wide Web.

I have a old Rock Island Gov model 1911 that I love dearly, but could sure use a upgrade to make it more useful for SD use.
I decided to order a set along with the Holster to see if it works.

These are an Israeli invention. This kind of stuff is right in their wheel house.
Still waiting for them to convert a T55 tank into a helicopter.;)

I would imagine they have warehouses full of old 1911's that need a upgrade.

100_9777_zps1ie1ouov.jpg

Installation is very simple. Just replace the grips on your 1911 with the Recover grips and its a done deal.

100_9778_zpsmefzxhyl.jpg

Fits like a glove and all the controls work as normal. No permanent changes are made to the gun.
They are slightly bigger along the grip area. Works great for me though.

100_9781_zpsserv0hus.jpg

The only issue I ran into was not related to the grips. one of the grip bushings spun out while removing the old grips. ( have a new set on order)

I also ordered the holster that is made specifically for the grip set. You can order ether passive or active retention.
I prefer active, The cool thing about this holster is it allows use of rail mounter items.
I have a cheap Laser on the way to play with until i figure what I really want.
That should be here Monday so i can practice some night firing.

So far I like it allot. Will see if it can turn this old sows ear into a silk purse.
I hope so, I really like this gun if it makes it more useful I will be a happy camper.

100_9785_zpsqns9tykd.jpg

100_9787_zpscw7zzvoc.jpg

Certainly not for every one. Old timers will most likely not like it.
Something about Old dog/ new tricks kind of thing.

My Son thinks its the greatest thing he has ever seen.

My self I dont think I would put one on a high buck 1911.
But to make this gun more useful in the role I want to use it.
Good fit, because I still get to use my 1911 and not a stinking Glock. :D

The only critique I had heard about these - other than principles or looks, was the rails. Made of plastic, some were worried they would be too floppy/saggy to hold a zero for a laser. But we're talking pistol here, I don't think it could be floppy enough to fail to mark center of mass at 7 yards.

Actually its a pretty hard polymer and you have them held pretty tight with screws and nuts.
Its at least a stiff as any other polymer framed rails I have looked at.
But I am not an expert yet.

My Laser came today and it mounted easy to the rails. Slides right into the holster as advertised.
Now this is a cheap laser just for playing with, 13 bucks. So I know it wont hold zero.
I did not want to spend good money on a light/ laser if they would get jacked up by the holster.

It should provide a training tool though. Haven't fired it yet, just drawing and pointing around the house. Really like how it feels.
Wednesday I can get out and do some day light practice and then some night fire practice.

Then start thinking about what kind of light/ laser I want.

I'm kind of torn between " looks like the greatest thing since bread " and " oh my gaw ". It is one of those items you keep looking at, it might be better than sin on Sunday. I think I would have to handle one to make up my mind, I do knid of like it.

I did get a chance to shoot this combo with the laser.

Yes its going to do exactly what I wanted. As a matter of fact I ordered a streamlight combo laser/ white light to put on it for its new job.

The only bad part. I noticed I am down to my last 10 rounds of 45acp.
What the heck man?? Could have sworn I just finished reloading a 1000 rounds not too long ago.

Son must have taken the 45 carbine out a couple times.

Oh well time to warm up the casting pot.;)

Pistol Size

Will this fit on an Officer size 1911? Most of the pics and vids I have seen are on Commander and Full Size 1911s.

Back