Record powder lot data in notes?

Shadow9mm

Seeing several powder storage and degradation postes of late. Got me to thinking. When loading a batch of ammo. Would it be wise to put the powder lot # on the label? Or the powder manufacturer date? I put a label on my power bottles when i buy them. But it might be better to decipher the lot number and put that date on them.

Anyone else doing this, or have a better way?

I just changed lots of N-110 in a 350gr cast Bushmaster baselined at 1660fps
The new Lot LabRadar'd at 50fps slower.
Keep track.
Measure.

Last edited:
Ohhh, 450 bush is a cool cartridge. Have considered getting an upper more than a few times. Just dont want to have to stock supplies for a new cartridge. Maybe once i get all my current load workup projects done.

Last edited:
I don't put the lot# on the ammo box label; that would be a bit much for me to do. But I can surmise the lot# of the propellant in any given loading I create.

I keep a log of every propellant I buy. The lot#; the date purchased; the date opened; the date exhausted.

In my loading log book, when I exhaust a # of propellant and open a new, that gets noted.

So although the Lot# isn't on the label, I can backtrack and find out.

P.S.: I place a label on every propellant container I buy. On it, I put the date purchased and how much it weighs (in graMs). When I open it, I put the open date on it too. If I have an old empty like container for reference (I usually do), I also put the empty weight on the label - that way, I can weigh the container at any time and surmise the net (by subtracting the empty weight, of course).

That is something i dont know yet. Its something i just started keeping track of. But currently all the powder i have was bought about the same time and have matched lot numbers so far.

I started tracking lot numbers about 10 years ago.
I had some loads that should have been identical, but were producing dramatically different muzzle velocities.
After a little bit of investigation, I found two open containers of that powder and they had different lot numbers.

I don't recall exactly what the loads were. Nor do I think it matters. But I believe it was 7.62x54R with A4350. (The very powder that was later recalled and did, in fact, go bad on me.)

I don't. And no plans to do so. I am not into precision rifle where I 'think' it would matter most, nor right on the 'edge' of over max powder loads for revolver cartridges. So this is something I just don't think about.

I don't. And no plans to do so. I am not into precision rifle where I 'think' it would matter most, nor right on the 'edge' of over max powder loads for revolver cartridges. So this is something I just don't think about.

I used to, but found because all I reload is handgun calibers, that with the powders I use, velocities and accuracy between lots is virtually non-existent. Or at least so minimal that I don't notice. Seems ambient temps make more difference than lot, especially with the magnums.

with the powders I use, velocities and accuracy between lots is virtually non-existent. . . . especially with the magnums.

Given your namesake, that would make sense. At least in my experience (I don't load 460 XVR), when you're loading up magnums with magnum-slow powders (W296 etc.), there's little difference from lot to lot.

With faster stuff, I have noticed lot to lot differences. Once I got ahold of some Unique that was spunky! Big difference in behavior compared to the previous # that I had. It had to be more than the 3% canister grade spec. Or so it seemed. Anyway, I adjusted my loadings and it made fine ammo. As a side note, it was during the shortage of '13, so maybe production was hurried, or something. Just a guess.

Moreover, I've noticed differences in density. This is likely due to the propellant drying out over time/use. On multiple occasions, when I got to the end of a cannister of powder and started a new one, I left my hopper setting the same, then weighed the difference. The new is almost always more dense than the old. I've done this experiment with Bullseye, W231, Unique, AA5, HS-6, Power Pistol, and probably others. Knowing this, if I do a work up with a new # of powder, I note it in my loading log. If it's a hot load, that recipe may be a bit too hot by the time that canister is near empty two or three years down the road when the powder is less dense.

A couple reasons I could see that helpful. 1) 8# jugs of pistol powder last so long for me it may actually go bad before I’m done with it . 2) If the ammo you are loading is for long term storage . In that case and you hear of a powder recall of same type powder years later . It would be nice to know if that loaded ammo used said recalled powder .

I like Nicks idea of keeping track of powder and dating your reloads . Seems like a reasonable way to back track to know what components are in and given reloads .

Back-dating would be fine if you tracked powder over time and when a particular canister was consumed.
But if you make the same mistake that I did - opening another canister with a different lot number and ending up with two lots in circulation at the same time - that process goes out the window.

How many lot numbers you gonna track? Powder?Primers? Bullets? Even some brass has lot number.
I don't keep track of any lot number unless it is a load on the tagged edge of high pressure.

I have powder issues at times insomuch as I make big handloading runs so I stock a lot of powder .... usually. Sometimes 200-300 pounds. So yes, I track my purchase dates and lot numbers fairly closely in my journals.

I just recently ran into problems with some Bullseye loaded 9mm from 2008 and some Radway Green RG4895 5.56 and 7.62 I loaded in '99 ... and was able to trace/track both issues back to the powders/lot numbers.

The RG4895 had gone bad in the cases since loading and the Bulleseye had lost some oooomph and dropped from a 2008 chrony number of 1080 fps to around 600 fps ... anyways, stuff happens sometimes.

Back