Recommended .357's?

Armando B

Thinking about a medium-priced .357 (first one!).

Any suggestions? What are some favorites?

Or would a straight .38 be better at the same price?

Thanks,
Armando

:cool: Check out the Ruger they make great guns at a generally pretty reasonable price. Is there a gun range near where you live? They may have ones you can rent to see how you like them. In my opinion if your going to spring for a gun and you are thinking .38 or .357 go ahead a get the .357 and shoot .38s when thats what you are in the mood for.

Good shootin

Great idea buy a .357.... Why, what are you going to use it for:Self-defence, hunting, plinking, target shooting, CCW?

I have a Taurus Tracker 6in SS, I it is a great gun, accurate from a rest up to 50yds, I am using it for hunting, plinking and target shooting.

.357's are a great caliber with loadings from light 38 spec to very hot and heavy .357 mag

Enjoy

A 357 is a great caliber regardless of its purpose. You can shoot 38 spec. loads and full house mag rounds too. Now the gun is another story, what is it for? Way to many styles and choices for
a general "gun".....let us know.

Shoot well

My recommendation's include Ruger's KGP-141, SP-101, GP-100,
or an old model Ruger Security-Six; along with Smith & Wesson's
model's 19, 27, 28, 66, or 686. A lot depends on the actual use
of the sidearm; as barrel length's range from 2-1/2" out to about
8-3/4". All models listed are excellent, dependable firearms.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Saw a new in the box, (with papers) Ruger Security Six, blued, over at www.gunsamerica.com for $295.00. Not a bad deal. Rugers are real work horses. Reliable, Strong actions. And they can be found as you can see at very reasonable prices. Plus what Ala Dan said about the S&W models. Good luck with whatever you get. May it serve you long and well.

Hey guys!
THanks for all the great input! :)

I'm keeping this one for home defense, but I like to spend as much time on the range as possible with it, so I want something sturdy but no bells and whistles.

I live in NJ and, unlike when I was in CA, I guess you can't rent to test-drive here. I have to limit myself to what my buddies bring to the range.

Thanks again!

Armando

You don't really say what you need/want this gun for so it is hard to really give a good suggestion. I will assume based on this fact and that it will be your first .357 that you are looking for a general purpose revolver.

For the largest variety of missions a mid sized revolver (such as the S&W K-frames) with a 3", 4" or 5" barrel is probably your best option. A K-frame is big enough to comfortably handle most (or all) .357 loads and is strong enough to last quite a while, however should you decided to carry it it is small enough to carry concealed (especially with the 3" or 4" barrel). A 3", 4" or 5" barrel will give you plenty of accuracy and be long enough to get some expansion out of JHP ammo (esp. in the 4" or 5" models). The K-frame or similar model (midsize frame) is much smaller and lighter than the larger framed models (such as the S&W L-frame) so better if you should ever decide to carry yet big enough that it is very comfortable and reasonably strong.

I have a S&W Model 65LS. It has a 3" barrel and fixed sights yet is very accurate. I live in a state that doesn't allow carry so I bought the K-frame so it would be comfortable at the range and give me the full six rounds for home defense (as opposed to the J-frame and other small framed revolvers 5 rounds) but can be easily carried when I move to a CCW state. As a result of my experience with this gun I have no trouble recommending fixed sights, they are simpler (very important if it's your first revolver), they don't lose their zero (important if you'll use this for defense), should you decide to carry they are less likely to snag on clothing, and they can still be quite accurate.

Here is a picture:
S_W_65_LS.art

you can also see it at this link, S&W Model 65LS, as for some reason the image often seems to disappear.

The S&W Model 13 is basically the same gun with a blued finish.

If you are looking for a hunting gun I'd suggest the longer barrels and heavier frames (like a 6" or 8" L-frame or even the N-frame) to handle the hotter hunting loads. If you want a small gun for carry (a lightweight snubby) I'd suggest going with a .38 until you have another .357 and are used to the round or buy the K-frame .357 in a 3" barrel- it will do most of what a J-frame snubby will with less recoil and muzzle flip.

Other good guns are the Taurus line (they make great, value priced, revolvers), and Ruger.

Or would a straight .38 be better at the same price?

Depends on what you need. If money is a major consideration a dedicated .38 is a little cheaper (new it will probably be 10-20% less than a comprable .357). Around here the Taurus 82 (in .38) goes for about $290 while a Taurus 65 or 66 (in .357) goes for a little over $300. Some of the best bargains in guns are used .38s that have been traded in by various police departments- you can get a traded S&W Model 10 for under $200 in good mechanical condition (though the finish is often well worn).

A .357 is much more versatile. The .38 is probably the most versatile caliber but the .38 gun can only shoot .38s while the .357 can shoot .357 mag AND .38 spl. However, a dedicated .38 may be a little more accurate when shooting .38s.

My suggestion is to buy a .357 first (take advantage of the versatility of the .357, in effect you have two guns in one) and then later buy the .38.

Well, you must have just posted the follow up while I was posting my reply.

Based on your additional info I'd definately go with a medium frame revovler (like the Smith K-frame) as it is probably the most versatile. It would make a great home defense gun (loaded with weaker .357 loads or .38+P to avoid overpenatration), is strong enough to take such loads pretty much forever, and is small and light enough to carry should you ever move somewhere that allows it (and you decide you want to). It is also big enough to be fun and comfortable at the range and can take the stronger .357 loads in moderation (it is a little weaker than the bigger framed guns so primarily using the most powerful .357 loads will limit the gun's life a little- though it still should last into the 10s of thousands of rounds).

...I want something sturdy but no bells and whistles.

In that case I'd stay with fixed sights (and again the medium frames) like the S&W 65/13, Taurus 65, Ruger GP 100 (I think they make models with either fixed or adjustable sights), Ruger SP 101 (if you don't mind 5 shots), etc.

For home defense, I'd go with a medium-sized frame with 4" barrel. Either ruger gp100 or S&W 19 or 66 (basically the same model, either blued or stainless). New ones aren't too expensive and there's plenty of used on the market. The S&W 19/66 won't stand up lots and lots of full power .357, but neither will I, so I usually shoot .38 anyways. If you are going to shoot a whole lot of .357, the S&W L-frame 686 might be a better choice (but the K-frame 19 or 66 balance better in my hand).

M1911

Nuther pair of options I don't see above.

Used Smith Model 581 (fixed sights) or 586 (adjustable sights).

L frame, heavier in the barrel and upper frame area. Very strong for a medium frame gun. Grips are same size as K frames.

Blued, long lasting and very nice actions. Will stand a LOT of shooting.

Can be found in very nice shape for tween 200 and 250.

Sam

"Sturdy, no bells & whistles". Sounds like you already made up your mind on a Ruger.:D
Combination home defense and range use: I'd go with a stainless GP100, 4" barrel.

i'm a newcomer, so take from my opinion what you will.
i just bought a 4" 686 for my first gun, and i absolutely love it. i had tried my friend's glock, but i couldn't get enough of this fine revolver. and from what i read, it's just what you want. i paid only $320 for a used piece, and it will last forever.

Add my vote to a used S&W 586 or 686. Of all revolvers I shot, none came close. If this is going to be home defense, then I would recommend 4" (for outdoors as primary use, I would probably go with 6").

I'd vote for the Tracker in 4" SS, Ruger SP101 and then the S&W 686. All good choices. You are making the right move in choosing the .357 for your first revolver.

If you are going to get a .357 magnum revolver, get one with a six inch barrel for optimum performance with the magnum cartridge.

Colt 357
Colt Trooper
Colt Python

The above three models are very good choices in .357 magnum revolvers. The Colt 357 is ever bit as good as the Python IMHO, and cost alot less at around $400 used.

If you gotta go with a four inch barrel on your revolver, then I suggest a .38 Special.
A .38 Special will do everything you need out of a general purpose revolver.

Go with a S&W M10 or a Colt Official Police revolver for your .38's. You can save alot of money by buying on the used gun market, S&W M10 sell for less than $200!

I saw a Smith & Wesson model 65 w/accessories advertised
in The Birmingham News tonight for $300.00.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

The 586/686 is, IMO, the best pair of factory-made 357's out there. I have both and recommend the 4" barrel 686 for home defense. Do yourself and gunowners everywhere a favor and buy used.

It's hard to beat a good used 3" or 4" Model 19, for just sweet feel in a pistol that you will be far more likely to carry and have with you. Practice regularly with .38's, and it'll last a lonnnng time. Accuracy and trigger pull is exceptional. Price? But a pittance.

(Note: I'm a little opinionated on this, and of course allow that many excellent choices were also noted, above. :) )

Back