Recommendations for custom work.

frogdude2100

Inactive
Hello everyone. I have a Remington Model 11 12 ga. from 1928 that was my Dads turkey gun. I want to make a home defense gun out of it, shorter barrel, mag extention, and cerakote. Any recommendations for a good gunsmith in the St. Louis, Missouri area?

Agreed.
What you propose would probably cost more than another shotgun already set up like you want. And, it will totally destroy the original gun's value and character.

Please don't ruin your father's shotgun.

Go buy a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security or similar for under $200 (less than you'll spend modifying the Remington 11) and you'll have a better defensive shotgun.

You won't find an off the shelf mag extension or any other parts for a Model 11. And you can't just put one on if you could find one.
"...the original gun's value..." Isn't terribly high. $4-500ish on Gunbroker. Still better to buy a Maverick 88/Mossberg M500.

Because of the recoil mechanism it would be hard to just shorten the barrel and have it work reliably. yes, there were military and police versions that were shortened, yes, Bonnie and Clyde had a shortened version. it would most probably fire, but it may or may not cycle reliably depending on the load. and dependable cycling is a requirement for a repeater shotgun used for home defense.

David

Thanks for the insight. It's in rough condition. Perhaps I would be better served buying something else.

Last edited:
One of the worst ideas I've read on this board.

Get a Maverick 88 and put a light on it, a stock that fits you, and a sling. Maybe a side saddle too.

The only auto loader I've ever used was a Browning Double Auto, best there ever was I think. Wait, at one time I have I thing it was a mod 48 in 28ga. I was young then and 28 just didn't seen adequate to me.

Come's to buying guns my first choice is generally one that I hear lot's of good about. lacking that, I have to have the gun in my hand to get a feel for it. I'm going out on a limb with my next I think, Dickson SxS. I had a Bernedelli years ago but SxS mode hadn't set in yet. Then down the road more years I got a Charles Daly I really liked. Super gun! My son has it now. Have three AyA's now and the only think that keeps me from getting another is price!

Go look at guns in the action you think you want. The one that would interest me most would be the Rem 1100, seem's everyone loves them. I picked a 12 ga up a couple times and notices two thing's. They were heavy and dumped the MTY case's on the ground! But recently I'd been thinking os a 28 in a semi and guns that caught my attentio were the 1100 nd one I'd never heard of, a tri star. I'm thinking Ill still get one just to fool with and thinking the Tri Star, for no other reason than the way it looks!

Back