Recommendations for Best All Around Calibre

Bullwhip

Inactive
I am looking to buy an all around gun that I can go from hunting deer all the way up to elk, and on the outside, moose. Terrain would range in northern brush to mountain. What would you recommend for calibre? This is my first time on the Firing Line and am very glad I found this page.

Bullwhip. It would depend on how much shooting experience you have withbhigh powered rifles. Pete80's advice is good for a seasoned shooter, but if you are just getting into the game, might be just a bit much.
If where you plan to hunt moose or elk also has big bears (Brer Griz) then I would suggest nothing smaller than a 30-06. There are certain advantages to the 06 that you may not find in other calibers. The availability of ammo is one of the most important ones. Various bullet weights for different types of game. (150 gr. bullets for deer, 180's for elk and moose, and even 220 gr. for big bears.) The only drawback to that, it you will probably (most likely) have to resight your rifle when you change bullet weights.
The big problem with any .300 Magnum, is they kick much harder than the 06.
I am basing my opinion on the basis that you are a newbie to the shooting and hunting scene. If you are reasonably well experienced in hunting and shooting, then by all means, use a .300 Magnum.
Paul B.

I'm not a hunter, but based on all the advise I've seen around here a 30-06 is what I would start out with. I've also heard that 30-06 in it's modern loadings is't far behind the .300 win mag.

Safe shooting
Tony

Good old 30-06 will serve you well. If you are an experienced shooter and can handle them, a .300 mag has a bit more going for them. Have you heard this before?

Having said all of that, many, many elk hunters here in Wyoming use the .270, .280 and 7mm magnums with "premium" bullets. I still prefer the 30 calibers though.

When you want just one caliber to do all things then you have to start trading off comforts on either end. Equal arguments can be made for the 30-06 and the 300 Winchester Mag.. The 300 Winchester Mag. is capable of taking down any big game on this continent, and if I were limited to just one gun to do it all that would be my choice. The drawback, it kicks like a mule, and is way more firepower than you need to kill say one of those little bitty Texas whitetail I've seen. Where a .243 or 25-06 are excellent deer rifles with minimal recoil, they will be light for elk. I wouldn't want anything less than a .264 Winchester Mag. on elk and prefer my .270, but your getting into more recoil. The 30-06 is certainly a very capable round and has a lot of versatility and has a little less recoil the the 300 Mag.. With the same bullet you can usually get a couple hundred fps more out of the 300 Mag.. More velocity equals more pop on the other end.

I'm thankful that I am not restricted to just one rifle, takes all the fun out if it.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

30-06 is the versatility king. With bullets available from 100gr to 220, a load can be made for darn near any critter/situation.

You can never go wrong with a .270. I have found it to be the most versatile rifle I have ever owned. I take it for groundhogs with 90gr handloads (shoots super flat) and actually I use the same load for deer w/ excellent results. If you decide to go for a thicker skinned game there are 130gr Silvertips or the myriad of partiton bullets being loaded today. This caliber has never let me down, and I find the recoil somewhat more mangable than the 30-06. The long range that you gain in the .270, I feel eclipses the 30-06 in performance.

Be Safe
Mike

300 Win Mag. You can download just like you can w/ a 30/06. But you've got the thunder if you need it.

Back