Recommendation for a retention holster.

Teufelhunden

I'm getting a job with Wells-Fargo, and the only non-concealment holster I've got for my Ruger P-944 is a $20 Unkle Mike's dealie I had to buy to do my state qual with. Now that I'm going to be carrying exposed as a duty weapon, I'd like something that'll give me a little peace of mind while in a crowd.

So what can y'all recommend for good makers of retention holsters? If you know off-hand if they makes them for my Ruger great, but now I could even use a manufacturer's name as I've never even given it thought before now. I know a few PD's issue the Ruger in .40 so I reason that someone out there has to make a duty holster for it...

Thanks.

-Teuf

Safariland. They offer (at least) two very very good holsters. The one I use is a Level III, and it is very strong. If you practice with this rig you can get very fast indeed with it (good enough for combat work, not gun-game level of speed, though, duh), but if you don't practice, you won't be fast on the draw. Also, if you learned to draw using a lvl I you had better retrain those reflexes, or you will look like the OSP Trooper in the Kehoe shootout, yanking and yanking and yanking on your pistol, and that danged thing won't come out :eek:

Safariland also makes a level I holster that is just as strong.

Uncle Mike's? Ehhh. I'm unfamiliar with their whole product line, but the one holster that everyone seems to use (standard 'bucket' holster) is very weak. The top strap is simple plastic, tends to wear, and is not strong. The holster body itself can be pulled away from the mounting shank (read: ripped right off your belt, gun and all) without much effort. :eek:

Mike

Back