Recommend me some Shield accesories

Jo6pak

I picked up my S+W Shield in 9mm two weeks ago and plan to make it my EDC as soon as I get comfortable with it and put a lot of rounds downrange.

1. I am looking for a IWB holster primarily for kidney carry. I have found a few that seem OK, but nothing with retention strap.
I would like to have one with a thumb release, if there is such a thing for an IWB holster.

2.Also, I am considering adding night sights at some point, so if anyone can help on that front, I'd appreciate some ideas there too.

Thanks in advance

Nobody can help?

I am beginning to believe there is no such thing as an IWB holster with rentention...

Last edited:
Get a Pierce Grip extension. Ten bucks or so on Amazon. Just for the shorter mag. You will fall in love all over again.

Umm, OK. Not sure how that helps me holster the pistol or see the sites at night; but thanks for the suggestion....I guess:confused:

I can't recall an IWB holster with retention straps. Some have tension around the trigger guard area. IWB is pretty snug in a holster as it is.

Night sights? Get a Crimson Trace LG-489 and you will have the night shift covered. We have them on all our Shields.

Thanks for the info everyone I'll be looking into all the suggestions.

@rickyrick= I think you are right about retention, I have yet to find an IWB with a strap.

@Water-man= That's just the info I am looking for, thanks. I'll do a bit of research there

@Frankly= I hadn't really considered a laser sight, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

I've never heard of an IWB holster with a retention strap, and I think that's because there's almost zero market for them. The reason for a retention holster is primarily to prevent someone from taking your gun, but if you're carrying concealed that shouldn't be an issue because nobody knows it's there in the first place. As far as keeping the gun from falling out on its own, a good concealment holster has adjustable passive retention at the trigger guard that will keep the gun in the holster even if you trip and fall down the stairs (don't ask me how I know this). Drawing from concealment is more difficult and time-consuming than drawing from open carry, and adding an unnecessary strap to the draw process is a bad idea in my opinion.

As for the night sights, I see them as pretty useless in most situations, which is why I buy sights that have a good daylight sight picture and I figure the tritium vials are just a bonus. There's a very short period of the day where night sights are useful, and that's during the short period where it's dark enough that it can be harder to see your sights but still bright enough to identify your target. If it's too dark to see your target, then you should use a flashlight or some other source of light, and at that point the tritium usually isn't visible and isn't needed anyway. For me, the primary advantage of night sights is that it makes it easier to see exactly where your gun is on the nightstand even if the room is pitch-black.

My favorite type of defensive sights are Trijicon HDs. They have a big florescent dot in the front and a large black U-notch in the rear. I like them because the rear is just black so your eye is drawn to the front sight only, and the rear U-notch is wide enough that the front sight is very quick to pick up. Also, many sights don't give you enough daylight on both sides of the front sight when the gun is farther away from your eyes (like in an iscosoles stance), but the U-notch is plenty wide on the HD sights so that's not an issue. Oh, and the HDs have one tritium vial in the front sight and two in the rear, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
I bought a desantis dual carry which has a thumb break and can be worn iwb. I ended up cutting off the retention strap.

There is no need for a mechanical retention device on a concealed carry holster. Sights come down more to personal preference. Are you loking for night sights, fiber optic, or other?

Nobody can help?

I am beginning to believe there is no such thing as an IWB holster with rentention...

A good IWB will not need retention (aka some sort of manual release). The kydex or leather will be stiff enough to keep it holstered upside down. My CC holsters are all kydex and tightened sufficiently I can hold it upside down with a decent couple of shakes, and still draw easily.

nightsights: look to Dawson Precision. I would suggest put about 800 rounds through it to get it worked in first then install sights if desired.
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/Cat...t+Sets:Smith+and+Wesson+M&P+Shield+Sight+Sets

Remember, no CC rig is complete without a quality gun belt. It makes the world of difference and several companies make good CC type belts that look like normal/dress belts. beltmen, Comp-tac, Crossbreed.

Thanks again for the further info.

Yes, I intend to put many more rounds through the pistol before I decide on sights. The stock sights are fine and perfectly functional. I will probably just stick with them.

I have had a chance now to check out and handle some IWB holsters in person and understand better now how they retain the firearm, so I no longer think that a thumb strap is necessary.
I also already have a good gunbelt that I have used for my CZ75 holster, so that will be my choice for the Shield carry also.

I like the looks of the Desantis dual carry, but have not yet had a chance to personally check one out. I may just order one and see how it goes from there.

Back