Recommend me a "learners" scope

Herluf

I've got a 10-22 and my buddy just gave me a weaver rail. Now I'd like to have the option to put a scope on it. Probably won't be used for much long-range action and it would rarely even get out of an indoor range.

Basically, I'm looking for a cheap scope with which I can learn zeroing and adjusting. I see alot of advice not to buy a $30-40 scope, but that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm new to optics, so any other advice or info you all would like to pass along would be appreciated as well.

4x scope

Buy yourself a 1"/4x scope for your 10/22. Simmons is good starter scope for
22s. Parallax will be less of problem with 4x. Do not buy cheap 3x9, they can
be a pain on 22s. I have a 10/22 with K4x weaver that has been on it since
the 10/22 came out with Deluxe Sporter, 77/22 with 4x Redfield, Marlin 39
with K3 Weaver and Savage 24DL with K4x. These are my hunting 22s, sighted
for 45yds they shoot better than me. All have duplex reticle. I have put bigger
powers on 22s but unless it's for a special purpose 4x is all you need. And most
any cheap scope will hold up on 22. You may be able to pick up a Rimfire line
scope for that money, made for 22s. Make sure you buy the 1" tube.

In that price range, I have surprisingly heard decent things about the Winchester 4X32 air rifle scope.

Rather than buy a $40 Simmons, I would really try to get $65 and buy a Bushnell Banner 4X32. I have one of their Dusk & Dawn scopes (better coating for $80) and it does well on my AR 15.

Look on ebay for a used but not abused burris or weaver scope. They're plenty of good deals to be had, i think that the optics are better than the new cheap chinese scopes.

Last edited:
"Look on ebay for a used buy not abused "

I'd suggest spending just a bit more but you might find a Bushnell Banner on ebay in the $35-45 range. Look for one made in the Philippines rather than China. The Banner series gives me good service at a very reasonable cost. The 1.5-4.5 x 32 scopes are good for 22lr giving you a wide field of view plus a reasonable magnification level. I have one of these on an AR carbine that has held zero exceptionally well for 5 years.

Centerpoint or Sniper

Let me recommend one of the Sniper or Centerpoint scopes. Wal-Mart carries the Centerpoints so you can actually inspect one. As others have stated, EBay is also a good source for these brands and sometimes, the shipping is free. You can save on sale's tax as well. Lately I have been mounting quite a few of these, on folk's rifles. Many come with some pretty neat features and the clarity will surprise you. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

The 10/22 is good shooter so put a good scope on it. $125 for a good scope isn't bad. I have a box of cheap scopes that are no good except for spare parts off of them for friends. Be wise learn from my mistakes!

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll price and spec them and see what looks good. I do realize that I'm not going to get a great scope at my price point and someday I'll buy something better, but for now $40 is the range.

On the lower priced scopes, the tracking may not be as described, per click, and may not pass a box test, I have had some not move for 2-3 clicks, then move all at once.

But that being said I have centerpoints through ior's and the scope matches the intended use of the rifle.

Last scope bought was a 14x centerpoint and it works well for its purpose.

Also had a new bsa go wonky, never would zero, erector would not move.
( but the other one I had was fine)

bushnell c500

this was my first ever scope, bought about 3 years ago I believe. it has been mounted on every single gun I own at some point. right now it sits atop a mosin nagant. it has taken tons of full caliber abuse and still holds. I take issue with it only for the thick reticle, which cover 1x1" bulls at 100 yards plus. but it's a great piece for 50$ and I will always have it on something. it's very easy to use and has great eye relief, better than my higher zoom scopes. has at least 6000 rounds under it.
http://www.natchezss.com/3-9x40mm-illuminated-cf500-matte-finish.html

I recently bought a lower priced scope in the 80$ range, a nikkosterling 4x12x50. it has a really nice fine reticle, decent glass and slightly worse relief. the bushnell is clearer, but you can definetly aim smaller with this reticle. I would suggest this scope first, but since I only have a few hundred rounds of .223 under it, I cannot attest for its long-term reliability yet. but I note that it has great clicks and has been 100% using my dope out to 600yards and back to 100. note the large front lens, needing a higher set of rings than the x40 bushnell
http://www.walmart.com/ip/25863184?productRedirect=true

Back