Recommend a sub $600 Shotgun for Cowboy Action Shooting

drobs

I'd like to get into Cowboy Action Shooting. Currently have a hodgepodge of guns. Uberti 357 mag revolver, Rossi 357 mag rifle + a couple BP revolvers. Figure I need another revolver or 3.

I'd like to add a new sub $600 (if possible) SXS or Pump Shotgun for Cowboy Action shooting. I've seen those Chinese

What all do you guys that CAS events have an recommend?

Also feel free to show off you shotguns.

Last edited:
I handled a couple of those Chinese 97's years ago. Remember them being really sharp - all sorts of ways to cut yourself if you weren't careful.

Wonder if anyone can recommend a shop to slick them up?

Norinco 97's are legal but you can only load two rounds at a time. Most that use them load two and then for the rest of the stage load them singly through the ejection port.

The best thing is to check with SASS or NCOWS or which ever group you are planning to shoot in. Some groups do not let you use certain actions or brands even though the specific shotguns would meet the criteria.

Marlins for example because of the side bolt and so many fools shooting high power loads through them deckades ago. There used to be steps for checking out vintage shotguns worthyness that the groups used but in this CYA era they have stopped doing that so you might find a perfectly sound shotgun and the group will not let you use it because they are in CYA mode.

Howdy

If you are planning to shoot Single Action Shooting Society (the largest cowboy shooting organization) matches, the only pump shotgun that is allowed is the Winchester Model 1897 and its replicas. No other pumps are allowed. The Chinese made Norinco and Interarms replicas of the Model 1897 are also legal. The Winchester Model 12 is legal for Wild Bunch shooting, but that is a specialized version of CAS and it is not legal for normal cowboy shooting. With all due respect, shooters who are proficient with the '97 do not load two in the magazine. Instead they load it as a single shot from the start, throwing new rounds into the ejection port as they work the slide to eject an empty. This requires a lot of practice, but it is the way all serious competitors use a '97. Guys who are good with a '97 can knock down a tombstone target with one shot and reload for the popper while it is in the air and still hit the popper. I have seen it done many times. No, it is not in my skill set.

The '97 does have its own unique set of problems. The originals are all old guns, the last ones were made in 1943. Mine was made in 1908. So any original you buy is likely to have a lot of wear on it. There are over 100 parts in a Model '97, and Cowboy Action Shooters tend to treat them very roughly, so the '97 can break down and leave you high and dry for the match.

The Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun and its replicas (the gun Arnold was shooting from his motorcycle in Teminator II) is also legal, but they tend to be difficult to use and I do not advise a beginner using one.

Given your budget of $600 probably your best bet is a Side X Side made by Stoeger. For some reason, the coach guns are very popular, probably because of the myth that coach guns were popular in the Old West. Personally, I would choose a shotgun with a longer barrel as it makes it easier to hit the targets, particularly the occasional flyer. If I was in your shoes I would probably go with one of the Stoeger Uplander models in 12 gauge with either 26" or 28" barrels. I would probably stay away from the one with the black stock too, just so you didn't have to explain over and over again that it is wood. A word of warning, Stoegers tend to be pretty stiff right out of the box.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/side-by-side-shotguns

Just so you know, to be SASS legal a Side X Side shotgun must not have automatic ejectors. Extractors only, no ejectors. Single triggers or double triggers, both are legal. Must be at least 20 gauge and no larger than 10 gauge. I recommend 12 gauge. External hammers or internal hammers, both are allowed. My favorite CAS shotgun is an old Stevens hammer gun made around 1906 or so.

I use a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12ga. for CAS. Available under $500 everywhere. You can tune it up yourself or buy one for slightly more from one of the CAS gunsmiths. Johnny Meadows is one popular supplier of race ready shotguns. I modified mine myself. It's not hard and there is lots of info on the web to guide you. You do not want one with a longer barrel as it will be unwieldy in most CAS scenarios where you must move and shoot through doorways or windows. The short barrel coach gun is much easier to deal with IMO.

Howdy Again

Have to disagree about needing a short coach gun to poke it through windows and doorways. I used to shoot an old Stevens with 30" full choke barrels, had no problems with obstacles and poking it through windows.

Even the 20" Norinco '97s are longer than a 20" coach gun and I have never heard of anybody calling them unwieldy.

A coach gun will kick harder than one with a few more inches on the barrels. If it wuz me, I would go for one of those 26" or 28" barreled Stoeger Upland guns.

The barrels on my old Stevens hammer gun were cut down by a previous owner to 24". I have been running through CAS stages with it for years. Have not banged into a doorway yet. And it is murder on poppers.

But that's just me.

stevens%20hammergun%2003_zpsi2udi3im.jpg

Last edited:
So 1897 was still "cowboy days"?

The SASS rules state that firearms of the time period from 1860 to 1899, and their replicas, are legal for competition, with a few exceptions. So even though it was introduced at the tail end of that period, the 1897 Winchester is legal.

Of course there are a lot of shooters who think the 1897 should not be legal, but it is.

what should one expect to pay for a "competition ready" shotgun and what are some other guns / sellers to look at?

Howdy Again

There is really nothing out there that is truly 'competition ready' out of the box. Not revolvers, rifles, or shotguns. If you are really serious about competing anything you buy will benefit from an action job and lighter springs. A few years ago Marlin was putting out a 'Cowboy Comp' version of their 1894 lever gun. It really did not measure up and was not truly 'competition ready' out of the box.

You can buy a gun from some of the gunsmiths who specialize in cowboy action shooting, and he will have gone over it and tuned it for competition. That is usually the best way to go if you want something that is truly 'competition ready'

Where do you live?

In my neck of the woods, everybody swears by Jimmie Spurs.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/

For the 1892 Winchester replicas, Nate Kiowa Jones is the master.

http://stevesgunz.com/

Coyote Cap is the guy who was instrumental in getting the Chinese 1897s imported and he is an acknowledged master of them.

http://coyotecap.com/index.html

All you really have to do is google cowboy action gunsmiths and you will find a bunch.

One other thing. You don't absolutely have to have your guns tuned and smoothed to have fun Cowboy Shooting. It does make it more enjoyable to have well tuned guns, but it is not absolutely necessary. Lots of guys just shoot their guns straight out of the box.

Appreciate the links and info gents.

Maybe I'll bring my H&R 12 gauge single shot for grins the 1st time out.

I have 6 different hammer doubles... a couple years back, Cabelas corp must have bought a big collection of hammer doubles... the one in central MN had 12-18 at the time... most were Husquvarnas... I think I bought 3 at that time, & told 2 other buddies that each bought one... a little polish on the chambers & AA's just fall right out... 2 of them I cut the barrels down, though not to 18"... one is 20" & one is 22", filled the void between the barrels with JB Weld, & installed new beads, & cleaned them up good, freeing up the firing pins that were stiff with decades old oil residue... those old girls work well for CAS... several others I'm leaving at factory length, because I'm not a "gamer"... I see them on the rack regularly at Cabelas & the like, because of the glut at the time of my purchase 3-4 years ago, I paid about $160.00 each for mine... just make sure you're buying fluid steel barrels, & if you can find a Geenier Cross Bolt model, it'll hold up longer, & you should be good to go...

BTW... back when I bought those 3 at $160.00... I got a really high end gun, that was marked down to the $160.00 price, some light engraving, Greenier cross bolt, dolls head, nicely checkered, & still deeply blued, with fancier hammers, IMO, was worth more than twice what I paid for it...

personally I have no problem shootiong actual vintage shotguns for CAS :)

Last edited:
Steve Young aka: Nate Kiowa Jones (Steves Gunz) did an action job on one of my 1858 Remingtons a dozen years ago and it feels like a high end Colt when cocking it. Still shoots like a champ! He does great work.

Back