Recommend a Safe Please

baddarryl

Hi all. I am looking for a safe on a budget. Probably in the $1000 range realistically. I have seen some at Dicks and other places. My question is, what are the better budget safes? I may try to find a better quality used one, but those can't be bought with credit usually. Yes I said that....:(

Got a spare closet? I had a smallish spare closet that was just housing misc junk. I cleaned it out, replaced the door with a solid core and put an electronic lock on it. Used a broom holder for some guns and hooks for others. That plus the house alarm should keep things fairly secure. I'm not worried about fire-proofing too much. The FD here are nothing but slab-savers so unless it could last long enough for the entire house to burn down around it that wouldn't be much help anyway. Total cost under $200.

I'd look at libertysafe.com. They also deliver from local authorized dealers if that could be a problem for you. Liberty has imported models too at a lower price. You could easily spend a little more than $1K, but get something worth the investment. Fire rating doesn't mean fire proof, but it will buy you time if something bad happens. If you live in a rural area, a longer rating would be a good idea.

Most important to me specifically is total weight and speed of access. If someone wants to steal it while you aren't home and they want it bad enough, they'll get it. Why not make it harder for them and get a real heavy safe!

Electronic key pads are great for speed.

I've been real happy with my Canon safes. One the Patriot, the other the Scout. You know the advice, Buy twice as much safe as you think you need!

I know a friend of mine has a Liberty safe and it was attemped to be broken into, it did hold and kept the thieves out. He has been verry happy with his, I also know another guy who has a Fort Knoxx safe and he has been very happy with his safe, he went with a fire proof safe. If your going to get a safe get a good one, it does no good to put thousands of dollars of guns into a cheap $100 cabinet with a lock on it.

I haved four safes , 1 browning and 3 liberty so needless to say I like Liberty the best. Just be sure and buy the biggest you can afford because they fill up fast. fire proof is a good thing for the protection and the weight. A lot of places are running sales this time of year so it may be a good time to buy and a grand will buy a decent one.

I also have a Cannon, granted it's a smaller one. I bought it used on Craigslist and got a hell of a deal! It has a Sargent and Greenleaf mechanical dial lock. You can set the combination from just one number to four numbers. It also has 4 bolts that secure it to the ground. One piece of advice though, a 40 gun safe will NOT hold 40 guns comfortably so make sure you leave some extra space!

Back