Recommend a rear sight for a Series 70...

jrothWA said:
Colt Combat Commander, 9mm, for using the standard front sight?

Thanks.
Since there's no such thing as a Series 70 Combat Commander, I have to ask exactly what your pistol is. Are you asking about a pre-Series 80 Colt Combat Commander, with the small GI style sights? What year was your pistol manufactured?

Series 70 Colt Combat Commander, all steel

made 1977 -78 time period according to the "Proof House" SN check. 70BSXXXX

The Lightweight Colt Commander was the AL frame. the SN were prefixed with "LW"

jrothWA said:
made 1977 -78 time period according to the "Proof House" SN check. 70BSXXXX
So it has the GI-style sights, with the tiny, crescent-shaped front sight? Like this one?

51_Comm_L_0800.jpg

There are VERY few rear sights that work with that front sight. Brownells used to sell one, an adjustable rear by LPA, but Brownells stopped carrying it years ago. I don't know if LPA still offers it, and I don't have a model number so I don't know how to ask.

The term series 70 is confusing now. Currently it is used to refer to no firing pin safety. Originally, it referred to the collet bushing used in the government model made from 1970 to mid 80’s. As the commander’s never used a collet bushing there was never a “series 70” commander.

Jim

I'm thinking a current, newer-style, rear sight will need a taller front sight too.
I believe there are two front "tenon" sizes which were used if the front sight is replaced. Once the front sight is removed, the tenon (large/wide or small/narrow) can be verified as to what is needed.
See this MidwayUSA website for a search on LPA's 1911 sights:
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=1911+sights+lpa

You might also try the Trijicon-brand instead of LPA for another alternative.

Here's another brand's taller rear fixed sight, if that's something of interest:
https://www.10-8performance.com/1911-nm-rear-sight/

Here's Cylinder & Slide's webpage for an idea of sight-work should a person need outside 1911-smithing to get the work done.
https://cylinder-slide.com/Category/1911PARAORD7

Millet made adjustable for stock series 70 “era” pre 80 comander. I just sold one in Feb. I don’t have any adjustable sights now.

L-2 said:
I'm thinking a current, newer-style, rear sight will need a taller front sight too.
Most do, but not all.

But the OP specifically asked for a rear sight that works with his stock front sight. It would be helpful if jrothWA would re-enter the discussion and confirm what his front sight actually is. Without that information, we're all (pardon the expression) shooting in the dark.

Bomar has been out of business for years, maybe decades. Yes there are copies but they will not line up with a stock front sight.

As AB says, we need to see the gun.
He shows an old Commander with very low GI type sights, then there are the taller fixed sights of the last several years.

I think the OP would be best off to ask some gunsmiths if they have a takeoff factory sight.

If the OP just needs a rear sight to replace one that's missing or damaged, I believe a surplus GI sight would be what he needs. I was interpreting the question to mean that he's looking for something that offers a better sight picture than the factory sights.

jrothWA, how about posting a bit more information regarding what you have and what you're looking for?

harrison retro set

I just had Harrison Design & Consulting install a set of their "retro" front and rear sights on a 1911 Rock Island and am very satisfied. Pistol had GI type sights, the Harrison Retros went in the factory dovetail and the front is a tenon number, all secure thus far.

They offer several options, front and rear, the turn around was quick, and conferred cordially several times via email before I sent them my slide.

Very very pleased.

saw that

Yes, I saw that......my comment regards a sight set was intended to be suggest an alternative, useful option that had worked well for me, and I saw no harm in it.

sight  slide photo 07 July 2022.jpgHere a photo of the slide and front sight, extending 0.081" above the slide/.

7July2022 sight slide photo

Last edited:
Back