Recomendations on a mild .357 load for defence

Alot of people use .38 cal ammo for target shooting in the 357. Cheaper and easier on the the ol' hand.
An good (reduced velocity) 357 would be Golden Saber 125 grain ammo by Remington. Still has more kick than a 38 +P though. I think the muzzle velocity is around 1250 fps intead of the 1550 fps from the other 357 rounds out of a 4 inch barrel. I have also heard, but not used, the 110 grain bullet doesn't have the kick either. I'm not sure who makes that round though. Let us know how it shoots.

Thanks, I think im going to actually shoot the thing. After all, that's what it was designed for. Im not much on keeping classic guns like that unfired! I'll let you know.

Triton makes a 110gr. round with the Sierra hollow-cavity. Excellent round, very comfortable to shoot, about 1400fps from a 6", and recoil equal to a 38spcl+P. Even has a moly-coated CASING that really makes ejection/reloading fast and easy. The PERFECT 357mag SD load (at least for me!). Super-accurate out of my 2-1/4" SP101.

JRiggs, go for it! It will be enjoyable time for you. Most people that know revolvers will tell you that a recessed cylinder and pinned barrel are a thing of the past and with it, went the workmanship and pride (and expense of manufacture) of good quality revolvers. It will be a real joy to shoot quality. Compare it to the workmanship and trigger feel of new revolvers. IMO, no comparison.
Charmedlyfe, thanks for the info. I've always wondered what the 110 grain was like. Never could ask anybody on what their opinion on them was until now.

Thanks for your input guys. I'll have to give both of those loads you guys mentioned a try. Like you said Horseman, I think it would be a shame to let that good craftsmanship go to waste. I'll probably try it out this week. I bought some Winchester .38 Special with a 130 FMJ bullet. These should work well to wake up this classic. I'll keep you posted.

In the days the NJSP carried .357 magnums I believe they carried .38 cal 158 gr +P JHP's. Less kick than a full .357 magnum load, very controllable, good penetration.

38 SPL +P loads are okay I guess but "medium velocity" 357 magnum loads beat them all to hell and are very mild in recoil. One that I like is Pro-Loads 125gr Tactical Lite. Remington makes one also. Winchesters 110gr. magnum load is pretty mild also. When I give my P-220 a break at house gun duties I stoke my S&W mod 19 with Tactical Lites from Pro-Load. Easy shootin' and reasonably effective. Best, J. Parker

YMMV.

I use .38 specials in all my .357's. For defense I use 125 gr Nyclad's and for practice I use 158 gr SWC handloads. The heavier bullet at a lower velocity duplicates the lighter bullet at a higher velocity in felt recoil. I'm curios here to find out if anyone else has had disappointing results with those 130 gr FMJ Winchester loads? None of my .357's care for them, including the Marlin Cowboy II.

I currently have my Ruger KGP-141 loaded up with Remington 110gr SJHP. Very accurate load to shoot. Recoil is nill. Excellent load. While I do like Triton ammo, sometimes it is hard to come by. The Remington load is readily available.

130 Grain FMJ .38 Spl. Winchester loads

Hello RAE,

The 130 grain FMJ loads are not accurate in my model 66. I get the best accuracy with 158 grain LRN and 148 grain wadcutters.

I use the jacketed rounds to clean my bore out after shooting lead.

-Mk.IV

I like (and carry) the 158 grain Nyclad Hollow Points in my three inch 66 (but they are expensive). For just fun shooting, try Georgia Arms 158 grain LSWCs at about 1100 fps--mild and fun to shoot and still hotter than any commercial .38 Special.

I think it is really the hot 125 grain rounds that do in the 19/66 (particularly the forcing cone). Reasonable doses of any commercial 158 grain ammo, and they should last a long as you want to shoot

Winchester "White Box" 110gr .357 Mag

Think someone else also mentioned this one. Besides being a lower recoiling round, the price is quite right at about $12/50. It's all I used in a Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4".

Winchester 145 gr. Silvertips. They feel like a 3/4 power .357 round -- easy to control, with moderate flash.

These are what I keep in my GP100 bedside revolver.

Also, Silvertips tend to be less expensive than other premium rounds, at least in my little corner of paradise (Charleston, SC).

Back