recoil ?

rebs

How does the 6.5 creedmoor compare to a 308 as far as recoil with both rifles being the same weight ?

There are hordes of other pages(About 2.9 million) covering the same subject.
Anyway, it's like rifles and like bullet weights that matter. So does the action type. And felt recoil is still relative. I find my semi-auto M-14, even with the fibreglass stock, has little to no felt recoil. More of a gentle shove. A 7.62NATO Ball round uses a 147 grain bullet. With a 140 grain bullet at 2,700 FPS in the 6.5, it's highly unlikely you'd notice the difference.

I have a 308 and a 260. In my 8.5# rifles, the recoil is about the same, with the exception of 100gr Noslers. In my 7.5# 308, the recoil velocity is much faster with 150s @ 2700.

It is pretty close.

There are a lot of factors that go in to felt recoil such as weapon design, loadings, stock butt size, etc. I don't have two of the same guns in the same loading to compare them but I can't tell much difference. Neither is that bad.

You have to also consider bullet weight and velocity. A 150 gr 308 and a 147 gr 6.5 are going to be fairly close in recoil with the 6.5 recoiling a little less. But for a fair comparison a 140-150 gr 6.5 is going to perform about like 308 with 180's. With those bullet weights recoil is noticeably less with the 6.5.

Never fired a 6.5 CM I would think comparing apples to apples , you would have to use a bullet in a 308 similar to the bullet weight in a 6.5 . I do hear it's pretty mild but a bullet that can shoot that flat for a longer distance then the 308 has to have more then a 223 I would think . I'm sure all three would be easy to get use to with no problem.

When comparing recoil effects to shooter with a one given cartridge to another, it is only realistic when both cartridges are fired in identical rifles in shape and weight distribution.

Otherwise, the rifle whose recoil (bore)`axis is much higher above the rifle's center of mass (COM) will have more recoil discomfort to the shooter than closer to COM with a straighter stock with the same cartridge. Its bore and stock axis will rise to a higher angle from recoil. Stock comb and cheek piece, too, will rise more.

They call the CM the Manbun for a reason.

But if you get one, you can let your 10 yr old daughter/grand daughter/neice shoot it. :D

Never fired a 6.5 CM I would think comparing apples to apples , you would have to use a bullet in a 308 similar to the bullet weight in a 6.5

Comparing similar bullet weights is NOT comparing apples to apples. You need to shoot similar BC's and SD's to compare apples to apples. You can get 147-150 gr bullets in both the 6.5 and 308. But the 150 in a 308 is a poor choice from a ballistics standpoint. It will start out at the muzzle about 200 fps faster than a similar weight 6.5 bullet and use about 5 gr more powder. That 200 fps and 5 gr more powder alone will mean a noticeable difference in recoil.

But because of poor aerodynamics the 150/308 will quickly fall behind the 6.5 in speed. As a hunting round the 140-150 gr 6.5 bullets will also significantly out penetrate the 150 gr 308. In a nutshell you're comparing the best bullet weights in 6.5 to the worst bullet weight for 308.

A more realistic apples to apples comparison is to use the 140-150 gr 6.5 bullets and compare them to 175-180 gr 308 bullets. At that weight 308 starts out about 100 fps slower than 6.5. But because of the better BC's trajectory and velocity remain very close, at least out to 500-600 yards where the 6.5 starts to pull away. As a hunting load you'll see almost identical penetration in game animals with this combo.

When you do the math with apples to apples loads in rifles of the same weight 6.5 recoil is almost exactly 1/2 way between 308 and 243.

I think the best thing to do is find one you can shoot to try it. These thing's get answer's all over the place. One guy recoil doesn't effect much think is no big thing another recoil effect's and it hurt's. next guy only shoot's big magnums and he's quite sure your little case couldn't hurt a flea! Only one way to know for sure and that is to shoot one. Lacking that, I would think recoil would not be an issue in a Creedmoor. I say that because I've shot a lot of 308 and bullet of choice was always 165gr. Recoil was never a problem for me with it until I tried a 200gr bullet in it and even though it as heavy, it was tolerable. I shoot a 6.5x55 on a mod 70 so I don't use the light loads, recoil is no big deal to me. The Creedmoor case is smaller so I'd think recoil will be less but your not going to be able to tell what it is by simply firing it, only if it bother's your or not. Find one some place you can try firing it and try it. Then you'll know how it works for you!

FWIW... YMMV.... all that....

I shot a 140 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertip from a Ruger American Rifle 7mm-08, then immediately fired a 143 Grain ELD Hornady from a Ruger American Rifle 6.5 CM. Honestly, I don't completely understand why, but the recoil from the 6.5 CM was considerably more than from the 7mm-08. So, to me, given that the 7mm-08, a lighter rifle, recoils less than my .308 M77, a heavier rifle, I would assert that the 6.5 CM is fairly close to the .308.

But I would also guess that a 6.5 shooting 120 grain bullets would be noticeably lighter.

How does the 6.5 creedmoor compare to a 308 as far as recoil with both rifles being the same weight ?

Same weight rifles, same weight bullets, same speed (or very similar), recoil ENERGY is the same (or very similar). That's Newtonian physics.

Now, what you FEEL can be the same, or much different. This depends on other factors, which include stock design, and fit to the shooter.

Now, you can calculate the small differences between things, and then, show on paper, how they are different, and they are different, but can you FEEL the difference?? I can't. I can't tell you from the feel of the recoil if it was a 140gr 6.5mm or a 150gr .30 at similar speed.

BUT, I can tell the difference between the feel of the same ammo in differently stocked rifles of the same weight. You? I don't know, maybe you can, maybe you can't. Everyone is different and FELT RECOIL is entirely subjective. Calculated recoil is a number. Felt recoil is what you feel, and can be different for every different individual.

I can definitely feel the difference shooting the same ammo in a rifle with a straight stock and a rubber buttplate compared to one of he same weight with several inches of drop to the stock and a steel buttplate.

Can you?

"They call the CM the Manbun for a reason."

this type of thing is worthless. who cares how much recoil? Like anything but shooting a 50 BMG is risking your manhood.

My favorite deer rifle is my 7mm-08. Yes recoil is not much.

but it is easily my most accurate rifle I own, will kill any deer type game in the US, and is damn near the perfect whitetail round.

I have one with a standard target crowned barrel. Felt recoil is less than a .308 Win. My Remington 700 in .243 Win has more felt recoil, though that is not a very fair comparison as the 6.5 CM weighs around 10 pounds with bipod, and optics. The Remington weighs about 6 pounds scoped. It is my go to rifle for hunting south of the Mason Dixon.

Across a broad spectrum of bullets/charges...the creed is perhaps a touch softer in recoil than the 308, though hardly noticeable IMO.

Last edited:
Back